All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. It is an electrical machine. Is that what you are talking about? The Owden hand held rollers I have as well and like them. It appears Tandy no longer produces these.
  3. SUP maybe I'm not sure I looked at the correct craftool pro edge dye machine. What does this craftool dye machine look like. I may be looking/thinking of the wrong tool when I mentioned my Owden brand tool.
  4. Today
  5. I will do a search on those names. I have read references to a couple of them as I have browsed.
  6. Thank you for that fix. Much appreciated. Now go back to that life of your own.
  7. i actually took the hook out to check the linkage, and couldn’t see any real wear anywhere. there is a pin that goes through a link that rides on the eccentric on the hook, and the play is coming from where that pin goes through the link. it looked great when i took it out, but maybe i’ll order a new one anyway. i did retime the hook, and it is sewing great now. your videos you have posted have been invaluable in getting this machine set up and working as it should. thank you very much!! before i got this machine, i knew nothing about sewing machines, but am very mechanically inclined. pretty much got this one for free, so the servo motor and speed reducer were the only cost. the slow speed really helps as i’m learning to o sew by re-upholstering pontoon seats. think i’m doing pretty good thanks to this site.
  8. There are a lot things they tell a guy about gettin old, most of it is Bullsnot! Give em hell friend and don't look back, you don't know you cant do it until you try.
  9. Fixed the stickies referred to. Most web connections now want a secure connection. So http has to be changed to https, the s for secure. Check out https://www.cloudflare.com/en-ca/learning/ssl/why-is-http-not-secure/
  10. I also love that lining. You did a great job tooling, That butterfly spine is awesome!
  11. I been Hardheaded and Stubborn all my life. Well it's paying off.. This old age thing is having a hard time trying to make me just lay back, No way no how!!!! My sister and my significant other keep saying you. can't do that. Well you never know until you really put hands on and Can't. Then when you do you limp off and say what was I thinking, Thing was I wasn;t Traits of a Georga Mule- Hardhead and stubborn with little or no thinking brains. 1
  12. You have a lot of nerve wanting a life of your own. I beleve all of the threads referencing ClayB in the title have the problem.
  13. Either quote a part of the post you want the member to be notified, or tag the member by typing the @ symbol followed by the member's screen name. Then pick from the popup list. @goaninmumbai You have a query, see above.
  14. Northmount

craftool stamps

Moved your post to Marketplace > Wanted
  15. Unfortunately, some items disappear off the web. We have no control over that. That being said, there have been a number of forum software upgrades over the years, and along with that, changes to internet protocols and browsers. I just had a look at the top pinned item. Further down in the posts, the original URL was fixed. I just copied that into the first post. The person's own website is not available, and I can't fix that. As you find some of these problems, message me, and I'll see if I can fix broken links on this site, or recover from other sources. It's not going to happen all at once as I have a life of my own to live. I have fixed quite a number in the past. Maybe more in the future.
  16. Where did you find the Owden edge dye roller machine? I can't find it on Amazon. I like Owden products.
  17. What kind of Barnsley Knife they have many for sale.
  18. Hey, that chain stitch is fantastic. The whole thing is a knockout. I wonder why we don't see more chain stitching in hand crafted items. I'd never thought of it, but it really, really sets it apart from the crowd. Nice work.
  19. Just to let everyone know, my machine is now sewing like a dream, thanks! I fixed the pin/post with loctite and a wee tap, thanks to @Northmount I swapped the tension springs from the new assembly that didn't fit for my old springs on the original assembly - thanks to @suzelle I followed this video on youtube which helped a lot, though not the same machine.
  20. Since linen is a natural product, it will dry out and/or rot. Shoemakers (cordwainers) would use hand wax (coad) on the threads. They had two different types, hard for summer (hard enough not to be a mess in the heat) and soft (so it would work into the threads) for winter. There are few threads on coad. Sorrell Notions was the one place I knew of to find it, but it looks like Lisa isn't carrying it any longer. You'll might have to make your own. JCUK is spot on about using the correct size hole with the correct size thread. You want a hole that will get plugged if you will with the wax on the thread. While sewing with the thread, once and done won't work. With each pull through a hole, the wax is scrapped off a bit, so you will need to rewax the thread as you sew. If your hole/thread size is correct, back stitching will hold it. And if you waxed your thread enough, no glue will work. It can't get to the thread because its coated with wax.
  21. @fredk I wish we had something like that here. I'm sure most people would not mind the 5% increase in taxes. But the insurance lobbies and their political lackies will not allow it. Now getting out of this topic before people jump on me about it!
  22. That's a good approach - As a n00b here too I've done pretty much the same - I've studied a lot of vids and looked at a lot of projects, made a large list and started focusing on a project to learn stuff. As far as stitching goes, the vids by Nigel Armitage are excellent - the recent series on saddle stitching gives a lot of "why" and also "when" which can be more important than just "how". I use a Japanese style knife a lot and for lots more than just skiving - vs a French style skiver that is something of a dedicated purpose. I'm eyeing a Barnsley knife as one of my next tool investments - they are UK based... Advise I was given (as mentioned above), and see the value in, was to pick a project - gather tools, etc and build it. A notebook cover or wallet to practice all things hand stitching were a couple I did. Dog leads for belt making, etc. - again, practicing the strap cutting, edging and cutting slots for braids, hole punching for rivets, etc. Right now I'm working on projects that are laced together vs stitched - I very much enjoy the doing and getting the results I want from the projects. An "Ah-ha!" moment when the lessons learned from stitching vids gets applied to the lacing - my work looks so much better since I started, mostly due to applying what I've gleaned from literally hours of watching vids. Good luck and show off your progress.
  23. Thank you - I think I need to be a bit more - delicate - when setting the lace in the needle...
  24. Bill I can't answer your sticky question, but look into (Jim Linnel the art of carving leather.) Also check out Don Gonzales, Joe Mellings, Bruce Cheany, George Hurst, they all have good tutorials & training. There are a ton of other guys & gals I know I did not mention, that all have great content.
  25. I don't have the craftool brand, but I did get a Owden brand dye roller. After using it once, I asked myself why I did not buy 1 of these tools 8 years ago when I started this hobby. I personally think they are great, & lots of dye can be saved using 1.
  1. Load more activity