Sign in to follow this  
CAFcue

Lizard Print Cowhide

Where are good places for lizard, and others aswell, embossed leathers in 1 ~ 1.5 oz. (.025 ~ .030 thickness??

If you don't mind me asking why are you looking for the faux stuff instead of the real deal?Dave

If you don't mind me asking why are you looking for the faux stuff instead of the real deal?Dave
Size?

The size needs to be at least 5 x 13.5 inches so any variable of that would work. Generally real lizard is usable. (These are for pool cue wraps.) you might get one out of a hide.

Well, if you insist on replacing the Irish Linen.....

Neat idea, really. I'm thinking an embossed veg-tan cow leather really is the better choice, instead of real lizard. To me, the durability is going to be critical, unless you plan on covering the 'hide' with a clear coat. And if you do decide on the smooth finish of a clear coat, authentic vs. embossed isn't really an issue.

I suppose there's a niche for something like that, maybe on high end custom cues. Me? I like my plain jane smooth finish on my Kikel.

Edited by TwinOaks

I personally would prefer the genuine lizard vs imprinted cowhide. I've used genuine lizard on the gun grips I make/offer and have not had any issues arise with respect to durability and/or function:

LizardSkinGrip.jpg

Well, if you insist on replacing the Irish Linen.....

Neat idea, really. I'm thinking an embossed veg-tan cow leather really is the better choice, instead of real lizard. To me, the durability is going to be critical, unless you plan on covering the 'hide' with a clear coat. And if you do decide on the smooth finish of a clear coat, authentic vs. embossed isn't really an issue.

I suppose there's a niche for something like that, maybe on high end custom cues. Me? I like my plain jane smooth finish on my Kikel.

This isn't for replacing a linen wrap, it would be on new cues. Some like the feel of real lizard but the cost is a deterrent to some so I like to have cowhide leather as an alternative. What I like is the shinier hides, almost like they're patent finished but I'm not sure. Also color choices are higher with leather.

This is what I'm after.

Picture_127__Small_.jpg

post-6959-1215396441_thumb.jpg

Edited by CAFcue

What wood(s) are you using for the cues themselves?

It can vary from Amboyna burl to Zebrawood. The main colors I seek are in the browns, blacks, burgundy, and rust/ honey colors like in the pic.

Remember what you put your name on today will have your

name on it tomorrow. I would use nothing but the real thing.

To think someday some kid will be sitting around a pool room

talking about how your cues use fake stuff as he pulls out

the old cue you made with imitation lizard on the wrap.If

you are going to build a name that says quality it must say

so from the beginning.Never sell seconds even if you say

they are seconds it will bring your name down thus making

your cues less collectible.Just my most humble opinion.

WINDY

Remember what you put your name on today will have your

name on it tomorrow. I would use nothing but the real thing.

To think someday some kid will be sitting around a pool room

talking about how your cues use fake stuff as he pulls out

the old cue you made with imitation lizard on the wrap.If

you are going to build a name that says quality it must say

so from the beginning.Never sell seconds even if you say

they are seconds it will bring your name down thus making

your cues less collectible.Just my most humble opinion.

WINDY

LOLz, I don't think embossed leather is considered using "seconds". Some top shelf cuemakers who sell cues in the $2000 to $5000 dollar range use embossed leathers. Like I said earlier, you get more colors available and that's what I'm asking about.

Try this link, they have some different colored lizard prints in calf and sheep: http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/lig...ghtleather.html