4wheeler4

Looking For Longer Grommets

Hello everyone, I am searching for some 3/16" antique brass grommets that will penetrate 1/4" leather and still have room to roll over the lip on the flange. I think the characteristic is called length under flange (luf) of at least 1/4". Any help will be appreciated.

Don't feel like the lone ranger! I have been following up on leads for long shank eyelets for the last 8 months. I make sheaths and holsters. Often this results in 3 widths of 8-10 oz leather. Trying to find an eyelet to accomodate tie downs is impossible. I will keep looking and drop you a line if I find anything.

Good luck finding grommets with a longer hub or what ever you want to call it.. On the few occasions that I needed something longer I was able to skive the leather around the grommet to make that area thinner,but was not easy and may not alway's be practical..

I think luck is the only option I have left. I have spent a dozen hours on the internet following leads, calling leather supply houses and sending messages to members of this forum and others with no results. Hard to believe that an item that seems so common would be so unavailable. I could understand if I lived in timbuktu or someplace but geez, this is supposed to be the land of plenty!

For the time being, I guess I am going to have to glue two eyelets in, one from each side. This is total cheese and I am ashamed to do it but I don't see where I have a choice. I have a leather sheath to make that requires 7 eyelets be installed around it's perimeter, apparently so it can be lashed to a pack of some sort. The leather is 8 oz with an 8 oz welt. This leaves me with three layers of 8 oz leather to go through on one side, two layers on the other. I actually tried to make some long shaft eyelets with some thin tubing but it was a nightmare and the end result was ugly.

At any rate, if anybody out there reads this and knows where some of these unicorn eyelets are, a heads up would be greatly appreciated!

Don't feel like the lone ranger! I have been following up on leads for long shank eyelets for the last 8 months. I make sheaths and holsters. Often this results in 3 widths of 8-10 oz leather. Trying to find an eyelet to accomodate tie downs is impossible. I will keep looking and drop you a line if I find anything.

Thank you crazyjz, that works both ways. I will pass you any info that I run across. Thanks for the input!

Good luck finding grommets with a longer hub or what ever you want to call it.. On the few occasions that I needed something longer I was able to skive the leather around the grommet to make that area thinner,but was not easy and may not alway's be practical..

Thanks Itch, I have used that approach on several occasions but sometimes the project just won't allow me to. I appreciate your input!

I think luck is the only option I have left. I have spent a dozen hours on the internet following leads, calling leather supply houses and sending messages to members of this forum and others with no results. Hard to believe that an item that seems so common would be so unavailable. I could understand if I lived in timbuktu or someplace but geez, this is supposed to be the land of plenty!

For the time being, I guess I am going to have to glue two eyelets in, one from each side. This is total cheese and I am ashamed to do it but I don't see where I have a choice. I have a leather sheath to make that requires 7 eyelets be installed around it's perimeter, apparently so it can be lashed to a pack of some sort. The leather is 8 oz with an 8 oz welt. This leaves me with three layers of 8 oz leather to go through on one side, two layers on the other. I actually tried to make some long shaft eyelets with some thin tubing but it was a nightmare and the end result was ugly.

At any rate, if anybody out there reads this and knows where some of these unicorn eyelets are, a heads up would be greatly appreciated!

I did the two eyelets end to end once but it ended up breaking and fortunately it was on a piece for myself. We may have to go to China for a group buy of ten gazilllion and sell to everyone else!!!!!

I was in a shop today buying an Olaf Rotary Cutter. It is the type of shop (Spotlight for you Aussies) that sells fabrics, sewing needs, curtains, bedding, craft items etc. I noticed they had some grommets in there that had a longer shank on them, about ¼" in length. It may be an idea to check out those types of shops in your area.

I was in a shop today buying an Olaf Rotary Cutter. It is the type of shop (Spotlight for you Aussies) that sells fabrics, sewing needs, curtains, bedding, craft items etc. I noticed they had some grommets in there that had a longer shank on them, about ¼" in length. It may be an idea to check out those types of shops in your area.

Thank you Chain, I will keep my eyes open when I am out in those type of shops. Thanks for your advice!

It would be a pain but could you put the eyelets in each layer then glue and sew or lace ? Just thinking of a way. Gary

Yeah Gary, that's the only solution that we can come up with as has been discussed. It's sorta like running recaps on a race car though. I spend a lot of time and money on my knives and sheaths and find those sort of short cut's kind of cheesy. I think for now, I will submit my sheath to my customer with well burnished holes and include an invitation for him to send it back for eyelets when I can find them.

A pure shame with the amount of so called leather supply houses in country and out. I know of at least 5 knife sheath and holster mfg. companies that use eyelets of the length that I want. I know that they don't make them, they get them SOMEWHERE! (Yep, called their customer service to see if they would sell/give me some--nope, no cigar!) Yet, they do not seem to be available for sale? Go figure?

Hello 4wheeler,

Have you tried Ohio Travel Bag?

I do know that they carry a 3/16" eyelet wit 7/32" flange depth. I will look around and see if I can come up with something. I have seen them but not having need at the time I did not save the information.

God Bless.

Ray

4wheeler,

Take a look at romefast.com. They have a selection of various sizes.

God Bless.

Ray

Hello 4wheeler,

Have you tried Ohio Travel Bag?

I do know that they carry a 3/16" eyelet wit 7/32" flange depth. I will look around and see if I can come up with something. I have seen them but not having need at the time I did not save the information.

God Bless.

Ray

Ray,

Thanks for your response. Ohio Travel Bag was one of the first stops that I made as they have delivered unusual finds for me in the past. The leather belts are 1/4 inch thick and the customer wants grommets or eyelets that will go all the way through.. They will not compromise on the belt thickness so I am still searching for a better solution.

Best wishes!!!

i just happened to go on the tandy website. they have what's called long post grommets. they are 1/4" if you skive slightly around the grommet post, this would probably work for you. tandy!....who knew?

Thanks to all who responded to this request. Yes, I was finally able to obtain some from a knife and sheath maker who purchased them bulk from the manufacturer. Just to make things clear, what I needed was eyelets that would go through three layers of leather. The hole in the eyelet could be either 3/16 or 1/4", I didnt care. I ended up w some 1/4" which works great. I hesitate to mention my source for these eyelets since they are not in the parts and pieces business and I would not want to be the cause of a deluge of requests to them for eyelets.

Again, thanks to all who pitched in to help!

i just happened to go on the tandy website. they have what's called long post grommets. they are 1/4" if you skive slightly around the grommet post, this would probably work for you. tandy!....who knew?

Hi Ramrod,

Thanks for the response, I have tried several packages of the long shank from Tandy. The shank is 1/4 " but it is not 1/4" under the flange. Skiving around the hole is not applicable in this circumstance. I thank you for the info sir!!!

http://www.speedpress.com/products/2/46

Try this and see if it is what you need.

Thanks Geneva,

Those grommets do not have the length under flange to consistently go through 1/4" material. Thanks for your input

i HAVE seen a website that did offer longer shank grommets. it's frustrating that i ca't think of where i saw it. i usually put it in favorites immediately. must let that one slip by.

i HAVE seen a website that did offer longer shank grommets. it's frustrating that i ca't think of where i saw it. i usually put it in favorites immediately. must let that one slip by.

If you ever remember it, please post it as I am still searching.

OK Ive read all the posts and this may be of some help.

There is a crowd in Australia that I have just ordered and received some SP1 eyelets (Grommets) in nickel plate and these are the long shaft version.

Ive have bought 500 myself and will find out the name of the company if you wish.

I bought these from a supplier in Auckland who got them sent from the factory. Not sure of the name.

Here are some pics of the eyelets so you can compare. Let me know if you want the name.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Trevor

"Way Down Under"

post-2565-0-06919600-1418715467_thumb.jp

post-2565-0-80389400-1418715495_thumb.jp

And here is the other two pictures

post-2565-0-92906200-1418716066_thumb.jp

post-2565-0-52275600-1418716084_thumb.jp

OK Ive read all the posts and this may be of some help.

There is a crowd in Australia that I have just ordered and received some SP1 eyelets (Grommets) in nickel plate and these are the long shaft version.

Ive have bought 500 myself and will find out the name of the company if you wish.

I bought these from a supplier in Auckland who got them sent from the factory. Not sure of the name.

Here are some pics of the eyelets so you can compare. Let me know if you want the name.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Trevor

"Way Down Under"

attachicon.gif20141216_201515.jpgattachicon.gif20141216_201743.jpg

Trevor,

I would love the name of the company, I could put those to use. Thanks very much for all the great photos. Your time is appreciated

You're welcome.

when I found these (which was by accident) I was so excited.

They are just what the leatherworker needs. Perfect for thicker leather and multiple layers of any material I guess.

http://www.eyelets.com.au/index.php

They don't show on the website that they make the long eyelets but Im pretty sure that's where these ones came from.

Let me know if you cant get any sense from them and I will contact the guy I got them off.

Cheers

Trevor

"Way Down Under"