Hello, you leather geniuses, you.

I am wondering if any of you have discovered any good natural leather adhesives with the same, or similar, holding strength as rubber cement (I currently use weldwood, with the red label). I would prefer something that is store bought, but I am completely open to brewing something up myself.

I am sick of the fumes, and I always prefer the more natural route. I've heard that some people use PVA glue for leather on leather bonding, but it takes about 24 hours to set, and time is money. Also, PVA isn't natural.

At the moment, the only thing I really use glue for, is to join two pieces of leather together at the edge, so I can set my stitching holes.

As always, thank you so much for any advice!

Zayne

If you are hand stitching tacks are the traditional method of securing, for natural glues, latex, hide glue, flour and water (with a little alum) and egg white.

If you are hand stitching tacks are the traditional method of securing, for natural glues, latex, hide glue, flour and water (with a little alum) and egg white.

Are you saying that these are all seperately different types of traditional leather glues? Not multiple ingredients for one type of glue?

Thanks

Hmm, interesting! So the tape just remains in the leather after it is stitched? Does it make any sounds when the leather is bent, like cracking? Also, how wide is the tape, and is it really sticky, as in, will it hold a folded piece of 4/5 oz. leather securely in place, so that I can hammer my stitching chisel through the two layers?

I have used the scotch double-sided tape to hold two layers of leather in place to sand off and match up rounded corners, and that worked pretty well. Haven't thought of using it for stitching, because it would probably be a hassle/impossible to try and remove the tape after stitching.

Thanks