Southernbeau

So That's Why Handmade Baskets Are So Expensive...

So this is my stab at a pancake holster for one of my 1911s. Stitching spaced with a dinner fork started with an awl (first attempt with an awl) and broke that sucker so it was back to the DeWalt and a drill bit. This is my second holster and is made from a $12 horse butt. First pattern I cut came out AWESOME...It however also came out left handed head_hurts_kr.gif. The reinforcement piece was "basket stamped" by yours truly, and I feel pretty sure I don't have much of a future in the basket stamping game, but such is life. I see after trying to make a basket stamp why the handmade baskets in Charleston demand such a premium. Would really love to have some critiques and comments good bad or indifferent.

I am thinking I will hit it with a rub down of mink oil tomorrow, and then seal it up with a 50/50 bath of mop n' glow the next day. Is that a good plan? Got it to stiffen up a good bit more than the first holster with the wife units hair dryer machine so I was happy about that. Haven't burnished the edges yet so need to do that as well, but other than some stitching screw ups and the terrible basket weave swing and miss I am pleasantly surprised with how it turned out.

Don't know that horse hide is for me but it was cool to work with and I have another piece so who knows...Contemplating putting in an order at Springfield for some Herman Oak to play with to see if I can turn something out for one of the wifes pistols using quality leather.

One last thing MAN THIS IS FUN!!!!! Wife may move out soon though she's not a fan of my trail of leather scraps from room to room throughout the domicile. whatdoyouthink.gif

post-32352-087543400 1342754581_thumb.jp

post-32352-010802800 1342754592_thumb.jp

post-32352-075016700 1342754598_thumb.jp

You have a good start there. You actually need to get the stitch line closer on the trigger side of the holster. There is room to put a third line in there. If left like it is now it iwill get loose on you pretty quick. stitch line spacing is normally have the width of the gun plus the size of a single piece of leather. So in the case of a Shield 9mm its .5" for half the width and then 8/64 for one layer of leather. works out to about 5/8th" from the edge of the gun is where the stitch should go.

Keep at it you have a real good start on it and it looks good.

I definitely see what you're saying about the stitch line I am going to adjust it on the pattern. I think I will just flip flop the lines so the inside line will be the outside line on the next holster. Thank you for the comment and encouragement!

Here it is sealed up and mostly dry.

post-32352-089526100 1342809869_thumb.jp

I definitely see what you're saying about the stitch line I am going to adjust it on the pattern. I think I will just flip flop the lines so the inside line will be the outside line on the next holster. Thank you for the comment and encouragement!

Here it is sealed up and mostly dry.

From the grump; First off you are trying to do two things at once --- learn to make a holster , then also trying to learn to do basket stamping at the same time..That's kind of a rough way to go, as you have learned. Michael (mlapaglia) has given you the proper formula to get the stitch line down pretty close, so here is a copy from my fifty (plus) year old Al Stohlman book on how to properly do basket stamping. Looking at your stamping, even though it isn't too good of a picture, I don't think old Al would mind that I copied this quick tutorial to give you a hand. Blow it up big enough to read, and follow it, step by step --- your stamping should improve measurably. This is how I learned to do basket stamping waaay back when, and although I don't do much of it anymore, I can still whump out a fairly decent piece of work. Keep it up, you're on your way. Mike

001-20.jpg

Edited by katsass

Does anyone know where the above page from Stohlman came from? I'd like to get a clearer picture of it. When I try to enlarge it, it becomes too blurry for me to read it.

SOuthernCross, I have not found it however if you sent a PM to katsass I am sure he would tell you.

That's a copy of Page 17 of Al Shohlman's book "How to Make Holsters. It's available at your local Tandy store or online for $10 or $12. I got mine for $5, but that was about 32 years ago. I have no idea why this stupid system has decided to underline everything. I can't seem to make it quit, but at least you have the answer to your question. Hope this helps. Mike

That's a copy of Page 17 of Al Shohlman's book "How to Make Holsters. It's available at your local Tandy store or online for $10 or $12. I got mine for $5, but that was about 32 years ago. I have no idea why this stupid system has decided to underline everything. I can't seem to make it quit, but at least you have the answer to your question. Hope this helps. Mike

Mike, . . . when you clicked on the reply box, . . . your mouse also hit the underlined "U" and if you mouse click that box again, . . . it'll go away. Most of the time, my mouse hits the Italic "I" box.

You got a good start there Southernbeau, . . . why not just add a third stitch line closer to the edge of the gun? Like previously said, . . . it'll loosen up really soon and quick, . . . and the last thing you want is your shootin' iron doing the clickety clang tap dance across the tile floor at Krogers, . . . when you bend over for something.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Hey Dwight!

Normally I'd agree with your solution, but I clicked on everything I could and it kept on underlining. This time when I clicked on reply, I get no underline, but it's in a different font. I just think I was born 100 years too late, and computers hate me!

Mike