Sign in to follow this  
particle

Two New Tutorial Videos Available

Some of you may know that I've created a free tutorial video and made it available on my website and on YouTube. I've just recently added two new videos to my website, though this time they will not be made freely available (hey, bills to pay, and mouths to feed!). In an effort to help spread the word, and also to give back to the Leatherworker.net community, I'm temporarily making these two new videos available to the LW.net forum with the following login information. If you view the videos and find them useful, I'd much appreciate if you'd spread the word... :) The login information will expire around 9:35 PM Central time on 6/10/11, but I may extend it another 24 hours if enough people are interested in watching it and don't see this post before then.

www.adamsleatherworks.com - login with the following information, then click the "How's it Made" link at the top to navigate to the videos.

username: alwguest

password: guest

Take care,

Eric

Very good of your Eric and nice complete and informative videos too... :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Nice work and continued success!

Thanks for the chance to see the videos!

RE the pattern video it would have been nice to see a brief view of the flat leather pieces and then the completed holster.

You have a very steady drawing hand. No need for french curves, it looks great to me just the way it is.

nice videos

thanks so much for time to watch them

learned a lot

Dscott

ive been jonesing for more videos on your site since i first joined up here and saw the first one thanks!

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Cattle Hide - I agree about the photos of the finished product. I plan on doing more of them, for different styles of holsters, and will make sure to include the step of dividing out that pattern into individual pieces.

Steven - the bone folder in that video was an old one I bought back in the mid 90's when I was an Art major. As I mentioned in the video, it broke when I pulled too hard to shape a belt tunnel. I was in the middle of forming a batch of holsters and needed something quick, so I had my wife pick up a pack at Hobby Lobby to get by until I could buy a real bone replacement. They were cheap plastic junk that flexed way too much - couldn't do squat with them on leather. So, I ordered a bone folder from Springfield Leather. I believe it's made by Osborne.

Great work Eric! I love the videos. Well shot and very well explained. It amazes me how much we share in common as it relates to technique, tools and style. Thank you for sharing! (I wish these videos were around when I was just starting out and trying to figure things out. It would definately have shortened the learing curve and saved a lot of leather in trial and error!)

-Tac

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Cattle Hide - I agree about the photos of the finished product. I plan on doing more of them, for different styles of holsters, and will make sure to include the step of dividing out that pattern into individual pieces.

Steven - the bone folder in that video was an old one I bought back in the mid 90's when I was an Art major. As I mentioned in the video, it broke when I pulled too hard to shape a belt tunnel. I was in the middle of forming a batch of holsters and needed something quick, so I had my wife pick up a pack at Hobby Lobby to get by until I could buy a real bone replacement. They were cheap plastic junk that flexed way too much - couldn't do squat with them on leather. So, I ordered a bone folder from Springfield Leather. I believe it's made by Osborne.

I've been thinking about going up to a local Meat Cutters and seeing if I couldn't get some pieces of leg bone then shaping some. Dunno about treating them though, I guess I could just let them sit in the Sun and Oil them now and then as they cook and harden...

hmmm...

Some of you may know that I've created a free tutorial video and made it available on my website and on YouTube. I've just recently added two new videos to my website, though this time they will not be made freely available (hey, bills to pay, and mouths to feed!). In an effort to help spread the word, and also to give back to the Leatherworker.net community, I'm temporarily making these two new videos available to the LW.net forum with the following login information. If you view the videos and find them useful, I'd much appreciate if you'd spread the word... :) The login information will expire around 9:35 PM Central time on 6/10/11, but I may extend it another 24 hours if enough people are interested in watching it and don't see this post before then.

www.adamsleatherworks.com - login with the following information, then click the "How's it Made" link at the top to navigate to the videos.

username: alwguest

password: guest

Take care,

Eric

Im truly dissapointed I missed the window to watch the videos but I worked late at my regular job if you decide to extend I will watch for sure if not I will probably pay just for the learning opportunity thanks for sharing either way!

I just wanted to say thank you very much for posting these for us :) I've just started making items out of leather and holsters are what drew me to it. I've been reading up on techniques, but it's so much different when you can see it done by a professional. Again thanks, I'm sure it will help me out significantly in my travels :)

Me too.. Cant wait to see though. Thanks Eric!

Im truly dissapointed I missed the window to watch the videos but I worked late at my regular job if you decide to extend I will watch for sure if not I will probably pay just for the learning opportunity thanks for sharing either way!

I really don't know what the fascination with a "BONE" folder is....it's a boning, creasing, and folding tool.....boning meaning molding to bring out details. You can make them out of pretty much anything that you can get a smooth finish and as fine a point as you want to use. The cheap plastic ones are just that- cheap. I made mine out of cocobola and included a tapered groove at the back end for slicking and burnishing. Before you start looking at trying to shape and treat leg bones from a cow, take a look at the tool and it's uses. I'm not so sure that using porous bone would do a good job without scratching the finish.. Bone may work fine on paper crafts, but leather tends to mar pretty easily. Maybe the idea of a "BONE" folder developed like this:

Boning, creasing and folding tool

Boning/folding tool

Boning/folder

bone/folder

"Bone" folder

Eric, thanks for posting the vids. I missed them, but video instruction is as close to 'classroom instruction' as a lot of new members can get. I'm sure they appreciated it. Looking forward to more opportunities like this.

Hello everyone - glad so many people have been able to watch the videos and found them useful! I believe the user/pass should still be active, so feel free to swing by to watch the vids if you haven't caught them yet. I'll be deactivating the account on Monday....

Thanks so much for the opportunity to see these videos. Great job on them. Was going to watch them for the 1.99. They are worth it for sure.

Thanks agian

C.J.

Hello everyone - glad so many people have been able to watch the videos and found them useful! I believe the user/pass should still be active, so feel free to swing by to watch the vids if you haven't caught them yet. I'll be deactivating the account on Monday....

Eric, nice videos I see you use a Tippmann Boss. What presser foot do you use?

Hi Chris88 - I'm using the standard presser foot that came with the machine, and I added the stirrup plate attachment - it really helps when sewing avenger style holsters. I should probably take it off when I'm sewing belts and stuff, but I just leave it on all the time.