Hello fellow leatherheads,

Well i made a mess of my last project and have another project that is at the phase of staining & finishing. I have a few questions and would be interested in what you have to say about them, so on with the questions

1) After applying the stain how long should I let the piece sit before putting on block out ( a resist )?

2) After applying the resist how long should I let the piece sit before applying antique paste?

3) After applying the paste how long should i let the piece sit before applying the leather finish?

4) After applying the leather finish and buffing how long should i let the piece sit before applying pecards? ( Weather Proofing )?

The reason for the questions is simple. I feel like i may be rushing these parts because after staining the piece then applying anything with moisture it seems that the stain gets smeared around a bit which I'm trying to avoid, I really want a clean piece with no stain smearing or antique smearing. These are my two biggest hurdles right now. Any advice greatly appreciated ! And let me preface your answers with a huge Thank You for taking the time out of your work to reply to this game of 20 questions.

Hi,

You are using some things I dont but in general...

1. When I use dye (spirit) I wait until it's dry, 2-4 hours just to be sure before aplying neatfoot oil.

2. I wait 24 hours before putting on a sealer.

3. I wait another 12-24 hours before aplying antiqing (then around 10 minutes to "clean off" the antiqing to where I want it to be.

4. I will wait until the next day befor aplying a sealer ontop of this.

It is a slow process but I would like to think less "booboos" show up:-)

Edited by Tina