Sign in to follow this  
joewalk

History Of Neatsfoot Oil?

I am trying to research the history of Neatsfoot oil. Mostly I am tryingto find what are the earliest references available. So far it seems that the earliest records of its use date from the 18th century but I am finding few details of how it was discovered or made. In addition any information on alternate dressing that would be used in the absence of Neatsfoot Oil would be very helpful.

Thanks

Joe

Call the manufacturer.

1345647966[/url]' post='261383']

I am trying to research the history of Neatsfoot oil. Mostly I am tryingto find what are the earliest references available. So far it seems that the earliest records of its use date from the 18th century but I am finding few details of how it was discovered or made. In addition any information on alternate dressing that would be used in the absence of Neatsfoot Oil would be very helpful.

Thanks

Joe

Try Wikipedia, they have a good article.

CTG

As you noted the earliest references to neatsfoot oil appear to be from the 18th Century. The term neats foot though dates back to the 1570-80 period. Here are some 18th Century refernces

http://books.google.com/books?id=EjsSAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA374&lpg=PA374&dq=neats+foot+oil+history&source=bl&ots=SGor-VTNhU&sig=hquNJTkZlKDctgGY8unp4DT2XOc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Ntk1UPujKcm42wWDpYHQBA&ved=0CDwQ6AEwATgK#v=onepage&q=neats%20foot%20oil%20history&f=false

1779-1806 period

http://books.google.com/books?id=8JevoWCNQlAC&pg=PA163&lpg=PA163&dq=neats+foot+oil+history&source=bl&ots=l48K-cqNUx&sig=VN0gmhomCTvoefzcBFIqcZG6vrg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=i9g1UOmcH4jO2gW_s4B4&ved=0CHMQ6AEwCQ

For more indepth history of the use and manufacture in Colonial America I would contact the leather shop at Colonial Williamsburg.

As to how it was produced - just one reference:

http://books.google.com/books?id=feJQAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA638&dq=neats+foot+oil+history&lr=&ei=-9Y1UI6zLIzwUL_EgdgJ&cd=11#v=onepage&q=neats%20foot%20oil%20history&f=false

there are many more references on Google Books - try neats foot oil history as a search term

Since the 1930's though most neatsfoot oil is made from lard.

Common period alternatives: Tallow, cow or sheep, was one of the most common leather dressings - the above link also discusses tallow usage. Olive aka sweet oil was also used from ancient times. Sperm whale oil was also used - modern day Lexol Conditioner is a synthetic form. Lanolin was another.