Sign in to follow this  
Yankus

Leather Door Card

Hiya Folks,

Was having a bit of an idea (or seizure depending on your point of view) would it be possible to make a door card out of thick leather.

The door cards in my car are perfectly flat and there is no handles or pockets. Just holes for the window winder, door handle and mounting screws.

Does the community think that if I use one solid sheet of 5mm leather, tooled, water hardened and stiffened on the back with several coats of resolene would

this idea actually work or would the leather eventually just sag off the door?

Hiya Folks,

Was having a bit of an idea (or seizure depending on your point of view) would it be possible to make a door card out of thick leather.

The door cards in my car are perfectly flat and there is no handles or pockets. Just holes for the window winder, door handle and mounting screws.

Does the community think that if I use one solid sheet of 5mm leather, tooled, water hardened and stiffened on the back with several coats of resolene would

this idea actually work or would the leather eventually just sag off the door?

Since one side will never be seen, why not glue it to bontex (sp?)or other thin rigid backing material to act as an additional stiffining to help it keep/retain rigidity? That way, there won't be the chance of sagging.

I have a 1959 Triumph Roadster (TR3A) that I restored. The interior is all leather. The dashboard is very thin leather glued to the metal backing. The door panels, much like the ones described, i.e. vertical with only a hole for the door pull cable, is made out of thin leather, thin foam, and a particle board for backing. The problem I see with using leather only for the door panel is the effects weather will have on the leather. I think it will eventually begin to droop. I would go with a backing of some sort. It will also help with the vibration and flexing during turns.

BillB

I checked out the link and that is exactly what I was thinking of.

Also thanks for all your replies.

Chris

I checked out the link and that is exactly what I was thinking of.

Also thanks for all your replies.

Chris

Welcome and good luck if you go ahead with it!

I will be going ahead with it, gonna do a couple of starter projects first..... Got a coaster I've started that's going to have a simple coffee cup carved on it, just waiting for the tools to arrive in the mail.

Also......hand beveling is not a good idea....