I've read of people dying leather blue or green and then black to get a deep dark black look. I figured I'd try it with the Fiebing's Pro Oil dyes. Just wondering after you dye it blue. How long do you wait till you dye it black? Just wait for a short while till the dye has soaked in and still wet? Or wait a day?

I've read of people dying leather blue or green and then black to get a deep dark black look. I figured I'd try it with the Fiebing's Pro Oil dyes. Just wondering after you dye it blue. How long do you wait till you dye it black? Just wait for a short while till the dye has soaked in and still wet? Or wait a day?

Well, from a grumpy old man. In my experience, it doesn't seem to matter which way you go. I generally used to allow the blue dye to dry overnight, ensuring that the piece was pretty uniformly covered. I'd then hit the piece with my black dye, again ensuring a uniform application. Allow the piece to dry completely and buff. I used an airbrush to apply my dye. I no longer use much black dye, I use vinegaroon now for my holsters, etc. that are to be black. It removes the 'rub-off' usually experienced with black dyed pieces. Mike

Well, from a grumpy old man. In my experience, it doesn't seem to matter which way you go. I generally used to allow the blue dye to dry overnight, ensuring that the piece was pretty uniformly covered. I'd then hit the piece with my black dye, again ensuring a uniform application. Allow the piece to dry completely and buff. I used an airbrush to apply my dye. I no longer use much black dye, I use vinegaroon now for my holsters, etc. that are to be black. It removes the 'rub-off' usually experienced with black dyed pieces. Mike

I use the Fiebing's Pro Oil dyes. So there isn't much rub off.

I dye blue let it set until the next day, then dye black and wait another day. buff with a terry cloth towel and oil or finish as needed.

I dye blue let it set until the next day, then dye black and wait another day. buff with a terry cloth towel and oil or finish as needed.

Have you noticed any difference compared to just putting on 2 coats of black?

I don't think the color is as deep, if that makes sense, you get a really deep black when you do it over a blue base.......just my 2 cents.

I don't think the color is as deep, if that makes sense, you get a really deep black when you do it over a blue base.......just my 2 cents.

When I've dyed my leather black. I usually have to re-dye it the next day. As I notice usually after it drys, that the flesh side looks splotchy with light colored areas. My guess is the dye absorbs too far into the leather on the flesh side leaving the black looking thin.