particle

Avenger With Rail Mounted Light

This is a new one for me - it's an Avenger style holster for the Glock 19 with a TLR-1 mounted on the rail. I've never made one of these before (aside from my initial mock-up), so I'd appreciate any input if you see something I could have done differently or better.

ALW-Avenger-G19-TLR1-3-L.jpg

ALW-Avenger-G19-TLR1-2-L.jpg

ALW-Avenger-G19-TLR1-1-L.jpg

Never seen one of yours I didn't like Adam. Looks great as always!

Thanks for the compliments fellas!

How does it sit on the belt? Any pictures with the gun in it? Good looking holster!

It looks great. How about some pics with the gun, both in and out of the holster.

Sorry fellas - I don't have any additional photos. The customer was in a rush to get it back because he needed his light for qualifications of some sort this week and I forgot to holster the dummy for more pics.

Beautiful holster. I want one for my 17!

Awesome! I can't wait until you send me mine!

Is the stitching along the sight-channel aesthetic only?

Thanks,

Leif

Thanks! The stitching along the sight channel is functional - its two strips of 1/4" wide leather stitched in place. The volume of the holster is so massive that even if the minimal detail molding relaxes a bit, it should still have reasonable retention, which might not be the case with the typical molded sight channel.

particle; you done damned good, especially for such an ugly shooter. Mike

looks great eric. Lots of detail as alwaysYou_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Eric, I have another question for you. I haven't worked with leather yet but intend to very soon (that's why I'm hanging out in this forum). But I have made a ton of kydex holsters. Making a kydex holster with a light is super tricky because there is so much negative space behind the light that needs to be filled in prior to molding with little bits of carved dowels and such. Whether you like it or not that kydex is going to press in and around the trigger while the light is now where the retention should occur. So the question is, using your method (I've watched your videos dozens of times), is this a concern? Or, once again using your method, does leather just not mold (keep it's shape) unless you form it yourself? Sorry if it's a silly question. I'm sure I'll figure it out on my own soon enough. But just trying to wrap my head around this.

Thanks!

Leif

The biggest problem I ran into was the locking screw dragging on the inside. I taped a couple popcicle sticks in line with the screw to help avoid it, but could have used a third layer i think. The leather has to be formed into the nooks and crannies. Even with a vacuum press, I still had to force the indentions inward to form the retention. So, filling those negative areas isn't a huge concern - just don't overwork those spots that might cause it to lock into the leather. Forming with a hydraulic press would probably necessitate preventative measures, but I don't have one to shed any light on it. I think the stitched in sight channel is pretty important with a holster like this.

WOW!!! That is a great looking holster considering it's purpose.. I have not yet had the desire to frustrate myself by attempting a light mounted holster... Very Nice Eric. Thanks for sharing.

-Tac

Beautiful work