steelhawk

Backstitching Help

I've done some practicing with my new Cobra 4 and am getting pretty good, but still have a problem with starting and stopping the stitch.

What is the best way to secure the beginning stitches. I've tried a few times and the result isn't pretty. Do I leave some long thread and stitch by hand, or can the machine do it, but I am not doing it right?

The machine should be able to do it. Just get some scrap pieces of leather to practice on and before long you will be an old hat at it. The machine will tack the thread back in the same holes and lock the stitch. You really don't need over a couple of stitches.

I think I got the ending backstitch ok, it is the beginning one that I am now messing up on. I can't seem to get it right.

Pull off 6-8 inches of thread from top and bottom and HOLD them when you start. You'll need to hold the tension for several stitches, then you can let go of them. That initial tension is critical to keep from pulling the threads through to one side or the other.

TwinOaks, that confused me a little, can you elaborate? You said hold the thread for several stitches but the back stitching is usually only 2 stitches. Are you saying it's necessary to keep holding the thread even after you've started sewing the main line of stitching forward. I've just been starting my seem a couple of stitched ahead of where it should start, backstitch two from there, then handwheel into the two holes that I made, then get the motor running. After the seem is sewn I go back and snip the threads as close to the leather as possible, on each side. Is that the way most here are doing it?

My post was in reply to this:

I think I got the ending backstitch ok, it is the beginning one that I am now messing up on. I can't seem to get it right.

....unless I misunderstood the gist of "it is the beginning one that I am now messing up on..."

I hold the two threads behind the work, equally tight, sometimes twisted together. Then I stitch forward a stitch of two, then back the same number, then forward to the end. At the end I backtack 3 stitches and cut off the threads. Sometimes I will start sewing in reverse for 2 or 3 stitches, then proceed in forward.

Either way, I only hold onto the loose threads for a couple stitches. I only need them to stabilize the position of the knot. Two or three stitches in any direction accomplishes that.

Edited by Wizcrafts

With 277 or 346, forward, back, forward will leave a noticable pile of thread at the start of the stitch line. Going backward first will look better, but you need to hold the thread to the side throughout the back/forward transition till you get past the starting point. Don't pull on the threads too hard as it can deflect the work and cause the needle to hit a narrow slotted needle plate. While you technically need to hold the thread ends for only a couple of stitches, they risk getting in the way and stitched over, particularly on the bottom.

Art

I hold the two threads behind the work, equally tight, sometimes twisted together. Then I stitch forward a stitch of two, then back the same number, then forward to the end. At the end I backtack 3 stitches and cut off the threads. Sometimes I will start sewing in reverse for 2 or 3 stitches, then proceed in forward.

Either way, I only hold onto the loose threads for a couple stitches. I only need them to stabilize the position of the knot. Two or three stitches in any direction accomplishes that.

Thanks for the suggestions. I hope to sew my first holster tomorrow.

practice on scrap first.........

practice on scrap first.........

I've already used up a bobbin full on scrap, and not done yet.

Good to hear. That means you should be pretty adept with your machine, and with the 'hold the thread' tip, you should be sewing holsters in no time.