UKRay

Multi-spool thread stands

I'm reaching that point where I'm going to take hold of the stupid thread stand on my machine and hurl it out of the window. I wanted a multi-spool thread stand and saw one advertised so paid good money for it - more fool me. The thing is a piece of junk and I'm really keen to get one that doesn't bend, twist or distort. In fact I just want one that works - has anyone got any suggestions that don't involve crappy tubular and angle section stands? Has anyone made their own - if so please be kind enough to post a picture of it. I've got a few ideas including making a wooden or metal stand shaped like a square so I can screw the base onto the sewing machine table, but I'm keen to hear what cleverer people than me have come up with. I need it to hold four large cones of thread... one of each colour already threaded up and ready to go so all I have to do is tie the loose end onto the thread that is on the machine and pull the thread through the tensioners and stuff - it saves time re-threading the machine when you need to change colours in a hurry. Hope someone can give me some advice - how do the pros do it - or don't they change thread colours? Maybe I just need a machine for each colour? Doh! Ray

I'm reaching that point where I'm going to take hold of the stupid thread stand on my machine and hurl it out of the window. I wanted a multi-spool thread stand and saw one advertised so paid good money for it - more fool me. The thing is a piece of junk and I'm really keen to get one that doesn't bend, twist or distort. In fact I just want one that works - has anyone got any suggestions that don't involve crappy tubular and angle section stands? Has anyone made their own - if so please be kind enough to post a picture of it. I've got a few ideas including making a wooden or metal stand shaped like a square so I can screw the base onto the sewing machine table, but I'm keen to hear what cleverer people than me have come up with. I need it to hold four large cones of thread... one of each colour already threaded up and ready to go so all I have to do is tie the loose end onto the thread that is on the machine and pull the thread through the tensioners and stuff - it saves time re-threading the machine when you need to change colours in a hurry. Hope someone can give me some advice - how do the pros do it - or don't they change thread colours? Maybe I just need a machine for each colour? Doh! Ray

Hi UKRay

Simple sugestion for easy Thread Stand. Large Baby Formula tin or Powdered Milk Tin with Flip out Lid. Punch a hole big enough to take an eyelett (whatever you've got. from Shoe to Sail) in the centre of the Lid, clinch the eyelet in the hole. Place your Thread cop in the Tin, run the thread through the eyelet, then put the lid back on the Tin. Then run the thread to the Machine as per normal. Keeps the thread clean. Can be placed anywhere. Doesn't twist or bend. No Frills construction!

An Old Boot Maker showed me this trick when I was a boy. He had all of his Thread tins (different colours) on a shelf above his Patcher so he could reach them without leaving his Machine. Also works well for smaller Spools in smaller tins.

Thread stands are so flimsy and take up a lot of room and get caught up when sewing bulky items.

My other tip is to Drill a hole in the Machine Bench and stand the Thread Cop on the floor under the hole. Only problem is getting thread dirty.

I also bought a neat little set-up of, Spool base with a Stainless Steel Rod bent at about 14" to form the take off arm of aprox 4 1/2"(drilled near the end). This simply screws into the side of the base, whch has 2 holes to screw to the Bench. Cost $5.00 at a Fair. Now I'm looking for more as I use it as a portable stand for different Machines.

The only drawback with the Tins is you have to open them to see how much Thread is left. Vacola (Fruit preserving) Jars can be used and you can see the thread level through them.

Please have a Happy Day. We've had good Rain so I'm very Happy.

Kindest Regards.

Jim Saddler.