badjustice

POW-MIA Seat (tooling)

The POW seat is coming along good. I think I'm going to try the "Mexican Basket Weave" as I've never done that on a seat or on anything for that matter. Does anyone have any tips for the weave or is there a good tutorial anyone knows about? Matt

3388234166_a72c583389_b.jpg

3387425251_fa8e5c50c6_b.jpg

Hi,

I just sent you a PM:-)

Thank you Tina. That looks like an easier way than the way I was going to do it. Matt

Cool, glad it makes sense to you.

Don't fotgett to post some pictures when you're done:-)

Cool, glad it makes sense to you.

Don't fotgett to post some pictures when you're done:-)

Tina, I checked out your etsy store. You got some skills. I like the Medusa purse. I see you are from Michigan is there a local leather group or club that get together that you know of? I'm in Farmington. Matt

Tina, I checked out your etsy store. You got some skills. I like the Medusa purse. I see you are from Michigan is there a local leather group or club that get together that you know of? I'm in Farmington. Matt

Hi Matt and Thanks for your kind words :-)

As far as I know...No. I don't know if I miss people but it seams to me that MI is not a huge leather state but I might be wrong. When I have met leather people in person it's been in Indiana and Ohio at leather shows.

Farmington, I guess I have to look it up on a map but I think you might be south from me? I live in Davison for a little longer... This girl is an "alien" and after 4 years here I still have some promblems with the location of towns here :-)

Maybe it's time for someone to start that club/guild in MI:-)

Have a fab evening...Time to hit the pillow//Tina

The seat has been wet molded and I am ready to start work on the sides. You guy's have been a lot of help, this seat has been a lot fun to do. Matt

3392292254_7c6e235ba9_b.jpg

tooling looks great!

i would have the holes closer to the edge though. what size lace are you going with?

Edited by Roger

tooling looks great!

i would have the holes closer to the edge though. what size lace are you going with?

Thanks Roger, I'm going with the 3/16 lace. I did a test run on on some scrap, it turned out good. I was wondering how you determine spacing. Matt

3392145859_64e6134a7a_b.jpg

well... if you look at a book on lacing they suggest the lacing holes be spaced according to the width of the lace.

so if you are using 3/16" lace the hole should be around 3/16" from the edge and spaced with a 3/16" gap between the holes. i go further apart than that but prefer to keep them tight enough that the lace is a nice tight braid. to me there is too much time and effort in basket weave to not have it tight. you are also using a lot more lace to put the holes so far from the edge.

attached is a closeup of some basket weave i did. this is also 3/16" lace.

DSC03728-1.jpg

well... if you look at a book on lacing they suggest the lacing holes be spaced according to the width of the lace.

so if you are using 3/16" lace the hole should be around 3/16" from the edge and spaced with a 3/16" gap between the holes. i go further apart than that but prefer to keep them tight enough that the lace is a nice tight braid. to me there is too much time and effort in basket weave to not have it tight. you are also using a lot more lace to put the holes so far from the edge.

attached is a closeup of some basket weave i did. this is also 3/16" lace.

DSC03728-1.jpg

Thank you Roger, that is some good info. I never know how to space the dang things and just wing it the best I can. I like how tight that lace looks. I'm going for the X pattern look only using the basket weave. I wanted some space between the lace. That is one killer seat! I really like that shaider too. Is that from Hide Crafter? Matt

Edited by badjustice