LederRudi

A First: Just The Right Moisture Content

The other day I'd converted a belt strap into valuable working experience (beveling on the wrong side, leather too wet etc.).

I let the new piece of experience lie in the open, bagged my depression and went with it to bed.

In the morning I thought I'd use the strap at least for some practise. I started a little cutting and beveling and found that the leather's moisture content was just perfect now. I applied the newly won insight to some more straps.

I'm pleased with the basket weave: real deep impressions and consistent depth.

I like the way the basket stamp creates his own borderline. Some of you may miss the border stamping. Tell me what you think!

The carving of course leaves a lot to be desired. I especially struggled with the camouflage tool on the scrolls and tried to correct with a small veiner.

Comments and hints as always most welcome.

post-16527-0-15760300-1414142800_thumb.j

The stamping looks good. Perhaps you can bevel along the stamped edge and then use another tool for more decoration, something like a camo tool? This will make it look more 'finished'. Ive not had much practice at scrolls and flowers but if its your first or early attempts just keep practicing. I suggest keeping your early attempts to monitor your progress.

They both turned out pretty good. The basket weave is really nice. Good impressions and well done.

I think they both look good. Personally I think the basket weave is fine without the border. As narrow as the belt is and the way the stamp fills the area I think a border stamp would only detract from it unless it was very small. The way the stamp created it's own border works on that piece. For the floral belt, the only thing I noticed was the camouflage on farthest scroll wasn't at a consistent angle with the beveled edge, but it looks like you corrected that on the later ones. I like how you did your flower centers too with the wavy lines radiating out.

Thank you all for your kind comments!

OdinUK,

I'll do a beveled border on the next belt. I've always shied away from beveling borders out of fear that the leather might get too dry because of the additional expenditure of time. But now, since I've had my epiphany...

The floral belt is still an early attempt at floral carving, although I've been messing with leather quite a while now since my first untaught attempt at a cowboy rig for my little son. I've kept the earlier ones and every now and then I indulge in the progress from embarrassing to passable.

I've looked at your web page ... wow! Impressive! I can see that scrolls and flowers don't really fit into your style.

Rohn,

I've noticed that you do a lot of basket stamping on your holsters, so your positive assessment means a lot to me!

Bob,

glad you liked the basket stamping and even the floral carving since you evidently are an expert in the field of western floral carving.

My camouflage tool proved itself unusable for the purpose at hand, I think I'll purchase one or two Barry King tools. His veiner saved the scrolls. I also used and liked his flower center beveler. The idea of wavy radiating lines I took from Al Stohlman's Tech-Tips.