Mockingbird

Sharpening Pricking Irons

Never have sharpened pricking irons, but I think diamond needle files used with care could shape things up. I've sharpened meat saw teeth this was with good results.

Be sure which kind of pricking irons you have, and what you want them for

The flat chisel shaped prongs are used for thonging. The pointed diamond prongs set at an angle are for hand stitching

For either type a needle file should do the job

The angled pricking irons are not intended to fully pierce the leather, but to mark the spacing & positions so you can follow it up with an awl

You should not use anything hard & solid like stone or metal underneath the leather. You need something hard - ish and firm but with a bit of give. Try cork, rubber, wood, or closed cell foam camping mat. I use an old magazine and replace it when it becomes worn.

Edited by zuludog

I use a old rolled up paired of jeans, keeps me from getting stuck.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes after reading up more the type I have are Japanese diamond type, different from European type e.g. Blanchard and Dixon.

So the holes are more compact diamond shaped than slanted slot like shaped.

I made a small strop to use with small tools and just run each tooth of the iron allong of the edge of the strop; flip and repeat repeat repeat . . .

Use a piece of hardwood with a good square edge on it and put leather right up to the edge.

I bought a Tandy set (one shaft with several heads that screw in) and found many burrs on them. I used 800 grit sand paper and sanded the burrs and then sharpened the tips when I was done. It made them easier to punch thru and pull out of the leather.

Since then I bought some new ones from China and they came very sharp and smooth. No need to sharpen them.

I use a thick wood cutting board under my leather when using them.

I had and used some japanese ones, also the chisel types. I sharpened them just normally with a waterstone, exspecially if you have multiple teeth it saves time and you get them aligned nicely, I just worked on the two long sides (> I <) and didn´t try anything between the teeth as I think that wouldn´t work... and if it would it would be to time consuming ;)
Just a tip for those; even if they are sharp, think about polishing the sides you can reach. If the sides are smooth instead of rough, you can pull them out quite easily....