Sign in to follow this  
NuVikingKnives

Greetings from Canuk land

Well I just got my confirmation email and figured I sould introduce myself.

Most forums I go by the name NuViking or knifemaker. I had started doing leathre kits in my early teens. You know moccasins and wallets from tandy. When my later teenage years kicked in I was a full blown heavy metal headbanger. Studded wristbands for all.

I have allways been a biker and been arround motorcycles so it was only natural when I purchased my Harley sportster in the spring of 86 that making a rear seat and saddlebags where in order. A custom toolbag was needed to. The first set I made got sold before I could get them dirty. Hey I likes profit. So I started a small sideline biusness when I was 20. After working with cattle and teh odd horse here and there I would spend just about all my winter months making biker and cowboy goodies.

Well I wasnt busy enough to justify a living of this so My Dad helped me go to a shoe repair school in Esterhazy Sask Canada. Along with learning how to fix shoes, boots and custom make canvass items I gained the confidence to repair sadles and harness.

Shortly after finnishing the course I opened a shoe repair shop in a small town and later moved it to a small city. I made a living of this for years but need a change in the late 90s. My dad and I opened a differnt biusness but I was still repairing boots and leathr goods till 2000 when he had a stroke. For awhile I was managing 2 biusness, taking care of my father. I found myself falling asleep on the drive home late at night and one night while tooling a purse for a lady I decided I wasnt enjoying leather anymore. So I shut it down. Sold most of my machinery, tools and supplies.

In the past few years I got into knifemaking and enjoy working with a new media. from time to time I have to make a sheath for a customer. I also got a partime job as a prepman at an autobody repair shop. Now the fellow I work with mentioned that there is a shortage of upholstery folks in our area. After investigating this I found yes there is so I decided to dust off dads Juki and get back into the trade again.

Allmost done my life story here. I have doen some upholstery work with my dad as he opened an upholstery shop while I was doing shoe repair so I do have some experience and I dont intimidate easy but am allways looking for new thoughts and ideas.

Cheers Dallas the NuViking

welcome dallas, glad you found us. Thanks for the in depth life story, i feel i know you now :lol: hope you will post some photos of your work soon.

I'm always fascinated with the various paths people's lives take them. Some of us are just not meant to follow a pre-prescribed path, and we wouldn't have it any other way. Dallas, thanks for the interesting intro. Isn't life grand? Post some pics when you get the chance.

Ian

:cheers: and welcome to the board!

At the age of 35 I'm still a fullblown heavy metal banger but with a larger belly ;)

Canada? Voivod !

Tom

Hi and welcome to the forum, thanks for the interesting life story hope your new venture pics up for you, Don

Helo folks. I was kinda busy for awhile. Last weekend I was at a motorcycle swapmeet and managed to get a job recovering a seat in leather. It is for a ridged shovelhead harley. I will be posting pics of it soon. Before and after. Some of the scraps got cut into lace. Havent done that in awhile. The Lace I cut is covering a knife handle. Allmost done that job. It is looking cool.

Cheers

Welcome to the forum Dallas, good to have another Canadian here. I'd love to see some of your work, we always love pictures here.

Ken

Edited by Beaverslayer

:cheers: and welcome to the board!

At the age of 35 I'm still a fullblown heavy metal banger but with a larger belly ;)

Canada? Voivod !

Tom

Got you beat a bit Tom, I am 46 and still a head banger too!

Rockin Roll!

Bang your head wake the dead

Metal health it drives you mad,

NuVikingKnives

Welcome to the list

NuViking, Welcome to the Leatherworker.net forums!

Dallas - Welcome to the forum. Back in the 60's I canoed that area. My last trip in 68 started in Raindeer Lake.

My dad use to go fishing at reindeer lake. I have never made it that far north yet.

Anyways I still listen to some metal. Some of the newer stuff is cool to. I just dig the blues and souther rock now. Its all good.