Hey everyone, sorry if this has been posted already but I have a pancake holster that I want to cut belt loops into. Should I use one of the oblong punches from tandy or springfield? If so which one would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

I used to hole punch the ends and cut the middle out. Now I do the same thing but I use a Forstner bit to drill a hole. Either TreeReaper or Cyberthrasher mentioned the bit on here. Cuts a beautiful hole. Then I cut out the middle stuff. Very little edgework needed after it is cut.

If you are using a concealed carry style belt (double thickness) you will findd that the oblong punch from either of those two sources will give you a fairly skinny slot. Some of the makers on here have had custom made punches done to give them the width they want. Some of the rest of us use a round punch at each end of the slot then connect the holes with a wood chisel. Then smooth out if needed with a dremel.

The Tandy punch will cost close to $40.00 and will most likely need sharpening before it will cut well for you.

Looks like Red is a faster typer then I am. He beat me to it. You mightalso do a search can't remeber what it is under or PM Dwight. He did a little step by step making his own slot punch out of conduit. Looked pretty easy and he says it works great.

Edited by camano ridge

What punch should I use? This is my first somewhat nice lookin holster and I want the belt slots to look nice. I have a bunch of small pice that I can practice with. Once again thanks.

I usually use a #/8" punch once you have the top and bottom holes punched take you wood chisel and lay it with the edge parallel to the hole to determine the best width wood chisel to use. Make sure the beveled side of the chisel is facing into the slot when you make your cut.

It just depends on how handy you are, . . .

I made this punch in all of about a half hour, . . .

It's nothing more than a short section of 1 inch galvanized tubing, EMT to be exact, or better known as electrical metallic tubing, conduit.

Lay the edge up against a sander, . . . and sharpen the edge first, . . . then flatten it out to suit your taste, . . . mine came out as 1 1/2 inch long, 1/4 inch wide.

It makes one really nice continuous slot, . . . with no jagged edges that comes from trying to cut or drill your way.

May God bless,

Dwight

punch belt punch.jpg

post-6728-0-16479700-1393212750_thumb.jp

Edited by Dwight

Whoops just seen my prior post that was supposed to be a 3/8" punch

I finally broke down and bought a 1.5" French skiver. It's got a mostly straight edge that rounds up on the ends. I punch two holes and cut them out with the skiver with just hand pressure. I keep it as sharp as my round knife. Best thing I've found. I have one of the oblong punches, far to thin a hole for a good belt.

The Forstner bit cuts a very, very neat hole in the leather because of its construction. The cutting wings slice the leather neatly and then the drill bit takes the rest away. Use a piece of hardwood to place the leather and the other end of the hole will be just as nice.

Forstner bit.jpg

Forstner bit.jpg

post-36503-0-58373600-1393256024_thumb.j

post-36503-0-08014600-1393256101_thumb.j

Edited by Red Cent

The custom slot punches are probably one of the most valuable tools on the bench. I used to do it the old way of drilling out the end holes and connecting with a razorknife, but the punches make a perfect slot every time and only the rear needs a bevel. If I had advice for tools that will pay for themselves quickly, this would be in the top 3, for sure.

I ordered custom punches, and it was one of the biggest headaches I've experienced in terms of a custom ordered part. Even with that it's probably the best money I've spent outside my Cobra on any given tool.

Your standard off the shelf oblong punch will not be wide enough. If you are starting out and trying to keep costs reasonable a round punch and chisel is the way to go. I use a #8 (7/32") round punch on each end. By the time I'm done burnishing, I have a nice 1/4" wide slot. All my belts are 1/4" thick, to I build the belt slots on the holsters to accommodate. For 1-1/2" belt slots I have a 1-1/4" chisel and for 1-3/4" belt slots I have a 1-1/2" chisel. I tried drilling and did not care for it. I've also tried using a knife to cut between the holes, didn't care for that either.

Custom punches from Weaver, about a year ago, were around $90. Well worth the price for me.

Thanks everyone for the tips and help. At this point I'm gonna try the punch and chisel method. I am somewhat handy but I'm gonna save the custom made punch for another day. This started out as a hobby so I would like to keep costs down for a while besides for the fact that I havea newborn baby.

Thanks again. I love this site b/c of all the great people and mass of knowledge.

I use a 1 5/8 Osborne, it was sharp as my elbow when I got but now works great. I have a short "belt" that gets forced through the slots when I'm wet molding, I like to form the slots and kinda shape the holster so its curved like my hip. YMMV I also have EMT and stainless punches for starp ends and those work great too