JRDill

Leather Weight For Wallets/credit Cardr Wallets

I'm going to start making very simple credit card wallets that will hold four cards, two on each side. I am curious of what type(s) of leather to use and what weight. I am currently making a "prototype" if you will of one, but the 8oz. scraps of veg tan I have seem way too flimsy.

Now that I'm thinking about it, there's no way it's 8oz. veg tan. It was a pack of scraps given to me from Tandy and says "Veg Remnants 8oz." so I'm starting to think it's 8oz. of scraps?

8 oz will make a mighty thick wallet, but might work for a biker wallet. I've seen and have used 2, 3, and 4 oz. You could build the back out of something "thick" and use lighter material inside.

I'm thinking you got a 1/2 lb of leather scraps.

Art

In the wallets I make I use 5oz for the outer panel and 2oz for the inner slots. Any more than that (and depending on how you do your layers) it will get mighty thick fast.

Let's say you use the leather thickness I mention, that would be 9-11oz thickness per side so a total of about 20oz thickness just in the leather. That's almost 1/3" without even putting anything in it.

Andrew

Thanks for the feedback! For the credit card wallets I think I will use something around the 5 and 2 range like you mentioned, Andrew.