Scary Leatherworks

where to find quality kits

Ok, so I've gotten my Tandy Deluxe kit with the minor tools and wallet, checkbook,key fob, and belt kits. I have found that the wallet inside is to short after being laced up the wallet doesn't open all the way. The checkbook cover lace was plastic and just a pain to work with. So my question is where do I get a decent kit? Or maybe it's just me. 2nd question the instructions are very basic so to the WALLET makers out there; I tooled the leather,stained it, then rubber cemented the liner in to the wallet per instructions but now I can't get the wallet to close it stays open L-shaped always bent at a 90 degree angle. with the checkbook cover I pre bent it while still damp and dried it while closed. but again after I glued it it won'tclose either.

Ok, so I've gotten my Tandy Deluxe kit with the minor tools and wallet, checkbook,key fob, and belt kits. I have found that the wallet inside is to short after being laced up the wallet doesn't open all the way. The checkbook cover lace was plastic and just a pain to work with. So my question is where do I get a decent kit? Or maybe it's just me. 2nd question the instructions are very basic so to the WALLET makers out there; I tooled the leather,stained it, then rubber cemented the liner in to the wallet per instructions but now I can't get the wallet to close it stays open L-shaped always bent at a 90 degree angle. with the checkbook cover I pre bent it while still damp and dried it while closed. but again after I glued it it won'tclose either.

While the instructions may or may not state it, the wallets are made that way. The insides are one hole shorter than the wallet back, so that when closed, everything doesn't bunch up on the fold line. (This is also why there is a cutout at the bottom of the insides- to allow for this.) So this is why they don't open perfectly flat.

As far as lace, it's just better to buy a spool of lace- that way you'll have enough to replace the plastic or replace the crappy leather lace that sometimes ends up in the projects. You'll have to remember, the starter kits included in a beginner's set is meant for just that- beginners- so you're going to have some 'cutting of corners' in the materials provided. With a spool of your own lace, you can complete the kits to your satisfaction, & actually use the kit parts to make patterns & cut your own so you can continue to practice & improve tooling & lacing.

I hope this helps a little.

While the instructions may or may not state it, the wallets are made that way. The insides are one hole shorter than the wallet back, so that when closed, everything doesn't bunch up on the fold line. (This is also why there is a cutout at the bottom of the insides- to allow for this.) So this is why they don't open perfectly flat.

As far as lace, it's just better to buy a spool of lace- that way you'll have enough to replace the plastic or replace the crappy leather lace that sometimes ends up in the projects. You'll have to remember, the starter kits included in a beginner's set is meant for just that- beginners- so you're going to have some 'cutting of corners' in the materials provided. With a spool of your own lace, you can complete the kits to your satisfaction, & actually use the kit parts to make patterns & cut your own so you can continue to practice & improve tooling & lacing.

I hope this helps a little.

If you compare "older" kits to newer ones, you'll see definite "corner cutting" on overall design and materials; Its best to make your own in the long run. We scrapped the idea of introducing these kits to newer folk because of the fustration involved. (My biggest pet peeve is the hole sizing, and straightness of the lines of said holes) There are other liner manufacturers out there, and are worth the time procuring them.