Itch

Servo Motor Repair ?

I have an Artisan 3000 which has been a great machine. Recently the servo motor started acting up. Blinking light instead of solid. Un plug for a minute or so then it would reset and work fine for weeks, months. Today the dreaded light started blinking and it will not reset. I since called Artisan and they are sending out a new and improved motor and board.

My question is has anyone had any experience repairing a board or the other speed part as I believe the motor to still be good I would like to have a spare .. It has a model listed as ACF-500c .. Thank you ..

When electronics goes bad after a few years, it most often is due to electrolytic capacitors drying up.

Quite often it is possible to replace them all with the new capacitors of the same voltage, capacitance and ECR to restore BAU.

Capacitors, dry solder or the sewing machine fairies.

Once they are broken the cost of working out the problem and fixing it is usually more than a new motor.

I routinely fix several year old electronics with dried up/popped capacitors using the donors from the old motherboards and it costs me 1 penny in solder/flux plus another penny in electricity.

But everyone's mileage may vary.

I also routinely fix the cold joints, except for the BGA chips that need special equipment. With BGA technology the industry found a way to make repair cost exorbitant, true. But if one invests in a reballing machine than it becomes quite economical to fix even the video cards and motherboards. Sometimes it is cheaper than buying a replacement video card.

Throwing away 20 lb of perfectly good motor and controller just because a capacitor dried up is wasteful.

Itch's motor's symptoms are exactly those of a power supply with a dried up capacitor.

LOL, I am a bit old fashioned and prefer to fix things with a big hammer.