Sign in to follow this  
jlaudio29

My First Two Holsters

So I have a gun that does not really have any specific holster made for it, after buying a universal one and trying many at the store i decided to make my own. Prior to this i have never worked with leather. So I found my way into my local Tandy Leather store and got some materials and tools. I found Particle's videos on youtube and used them as a reference many many times, and also found a tutorial on hand stitching... So here are my first two holster. the second one is still drying out then i need to finish burnishing the edges and put some gum on the inside. \

Holster #1 I like the design, but i made it to long. The stitching line is a little off, and the belt strap in the back is to far towards the back of the holster. My burnishing isnt that great on this one either.

IMG_20110203_115831.jpg

IMG_20110203_115808.jpg

Ok so i redid the design a little on the next holster fixing some things from the first holster. I still need to burnish the edges and gum the inside, but i think it came out good.

IMG_20110205_171345.jpg

IMG_20110205_171653.jpg

My, my. Looks like we have another holster maker in the offin'. I really like the flare on the reinforcement piece on the second holster. Looks cool. Beware - holster making is addictive!

Big - Thanks

Haystacker - Yah i really the design i added on the reinforment peice.. thanks for the compliments... and yes your totally correct, i was thinking to myself today.. man this holster making is addicting, im going to need to buy more guns i cant keep making holsters for the same gun LOL.

Looking good! Glad you found the video helpful. Love the 'flame' design you added on the front-side.

I'm addicted..

I did the same thing you did. My first holster was an avenger style and the belt pass I put in the middle of the gun, not toward the front. So when I got all done and put it on it had a real tendency to swing away from my bodydeadsubject.gif . Looks like you nailed the second one! Good job! I agree the reinforcement piece is good to go! I've mostly been making pancake styles that are snug to the body.

You can find other things to make holsters for too, magazines, knives, lights,ect..., but this is an excellent reason to go buy another pistol! I just finished making a holster for my SOG multi-tool and streamlight, Just posted it.

Keep up the good work!

Nice looking holsters! I've been making hunter style holsters so far - but my next project will probably be something similar to what you've made there.

I agree about the addictive qualities of holster-making. I put the finishing touches on my first holster (and like you, my first piece of leatherworking) back on January 20th, 2011. Last night I finished my fourth.

At this rate I'm all set for the next month - but after that I'll need to buy more guns.

Better than the first one I built. Particle's videos was one of the things that started the leather bug in me as well. Particle thanks again.

Is the pistol in the first photo a eaa zastava? If so how do you like it?