Maeshin

Leather piping/welting

Well, I only came to the realization that this stuff existed a short while ago. As such, I'm not entirely sure of the proper name for it, though I've generally seen it called either "leather piping" or "leather welting".

It is basically this stuff (link below), which is easy to find in fabric stores, but I'm looking for a leather version.

http://www.jkmribbon.com/wrights/piping/pa...ing/117303.html

Does anyone know where I might be able to buy some?

:helpsmilie:

Hi Maeshin,

For upholstery there are several versions available usually in vinyl, for leather you generally make it yourself.

You get 2 oz leather in the color you want and wrap piping cord in it. You can get piping cord here:

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/product_list...A_ProdID_E_3535

Or a trimmers supply or an upholstery shop.

It is handy to have a piping foot (cording foot, welting foot) on your sewing machine but it CAN be done by hand. The welting foot is almost a necessity for installing the welting in the seam. Three different sizes may be necessary as the sandwich gets bigger as you construct the seam. I can do it with one foot, but I've done a lot of cushions, if you have a right foot only, you can use that also (more careful and a lot slower). If you are going around tight corners, you'll need a welting foot with a cut back or you won't be able to turn. This is something you learn in Canvaswork or Auto upholstery 101.

Art

Well, I only came to the realization that this stuff existed a short while ago. As such, I'm not entirely sure of the proper name for it, though I've generally seen it called either "leather piping" or "leather welting".

It is basically this stuff (link below), which is easy to find in fabric stores, but I'm looking for a leather version.

http://www.jkmribbon.com/wrights/piping/pa...ing/117303.html

Does anyone know where I might be able to buy some?

:helpsmilie:

MAESHIN... SAVE YOUR SELF A LOT OF TIME BY LOOKING FOR THE

LEATHER WELTING... DO LIKE ART SAID AND MAKE IT YOURSELF.

"BEEN THERE DONE THAT"

Search for it about two years ago, if it exists it is rare. as said save trouble and make your own.

Hi Maeshin,

For upholstery there are several versions available usually in vinyl, for leather you generally make it yourself.

You get 2 oz leather in the color you want and wrap piping cord in it. You can get piping cord here:

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/product_list...A_ProdID_E_3535

Or a trimmers supply or an upholstery shop.

It is handy to have a piping foot (cording foot, welting foot) on your sewing machine but it CAN be done by hand. The welting foot is almost a necessity for installing the welting in the seam. Three different sizes may be necessary as the sandwich gets bigger as you construct the seam. I can do it with one foot, but I've done a lot of cushions, if you have a right foot only, you can use that also (more careful and a lot slower). If you are going around tight corners, you'll need a welting foot with a cut back or you won't be able to turn. This is something you learn in Canvaswork or Auto upholstery 101.

Art

Thank you, that was very helpful ^_^ Unfortunately I don't have a sewing machine (I should probably invest in one of those at some point), so any stitching I do will have to be by hand. Hopefully I'll be able to manage it alright after a few tries. In any event, I shall implement your suggestion for making it myself (and will likely be back with more questions once I get the materials together to do so ^_^). Thanks again!

My buddy is an upolsterer and I usually snag the cord from him. I make my own piping for patant work when I am making a gig saddle. I've even used wire when in a pinch to finish off some piping, it worked well!

-Andrew

Thank you, that was very helpful ^_^ Unfortunately I don't have a sewing machine (I should probably invest in one of those at some point), so any stitching I do will have to be by hand. Hopefully I'll be able to manage it alright after a few tries. In any event, I shall implement your suggestion for making it myself (and will likely be back with more questions once I get the materials together to do so ^_^ ). Thanks again!
You can find leather welting at Texas Leather Trim, Inc. in Ft. Worth, TX. Their phone number is (81&) 535-8643
You can find leather welting at Texas Leather Trim, Inc. in Ft. Worth, TX. Their phone number is (81&) 535-8643
Sorry I mistyped phone area code. It is (817).

You can find leather welting at Texas Leather Trim, Inc. in Ft. Worth, TX. Their phone number is (81&) 535-8643Sorry I mistyped phone area code. It is (817).

Thanks! I'll take a look at them ^_^

Been looking for that stuff for a while cheers

I found a leather piping supplier on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160668390850?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 !!!

They have black, dark brown, and saddle tan. Just ordered some, and will let you know about the quality!

There are also several suppliers on eBay selling vinyl piping, some have a nice matte finish: http://www.ebay.com/itm/360391134590?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 . I just ordered red and white, and will let you know about the quality on this one too!

Cheers!

Lequoia

That ebay leather cording looks like it's not been sewn together, could it be just glued together or something?