cmoffett

What's The Best Way To Make Kangaroo Laces?

Hi folks,

So I've been playing with the idea of using kangaroo for making the straps on some simple huarache sandals. The scrap I used to test them wound up being super comfortable. So now I'd like to make some proper straps. But I don't have any experience in this, and would love some expert advise.

I'd like to be able to make laces anywhere from 1/8" to 5/8" wide. And then take down the edges a touch for comfort. Are there any tutorials, on how to do this? Recommended equipment? Secret tricks? One of the things I'm wondering about is the best way to get long strips of the wider laces. I need 6' lengths, and gather you have to circle to get them, but will that straighten out in the wider width?

Also, any advise on good sources of undyed kangaroo leather?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Chris

PS. I'll attach a photo of the test sandal, so you can see what I'm imagining. post-24092-016785200 1322778406_thumb.jp

I use a lot of kangaroo in my braiding, but never made sandals out of it. That said, the process for making lace would be about the same. Anything you cut less than 1/2" wide will probably straighten out after cut on a round if you stretch and grease it. Anything over that probably wont. You can use a strap cutter or a draw gauge for wider strips, but they should be cut straight.

As far as undyed hides go, you can get natural hides from Hardtke leather in El Paso, TX. They are really good to deal with and have a good selection on hand. If you are wanting natural hides to dye, Im not sure how this will work. They hides are all hot stuffed in drums when they are dyed, and I think the natural ones get the same treatment with no dye, so I dont know how it will take dyes. Hardtke offers a lot of different colors in the craft grade hides, its not braiding quality, so I dont know what they are like as I have never used them. Give them a call and see what they have.

CW

Edited by Aggiebraider

Thanks CW! Just the kind of things I needed to know! I'll get started!

Chris

I use a lot of kangaroo in my braiding, but never made sandals out of it. That said, the process for making lace would be about the same. Anything you cut less than 1/2" wide will probably straighten out after cut on a round if you stretch and grease it. Anything over that probably wont. You can use a strap cutter or a draw gauge for wider strips, but they should be cut straight.

As far as undyed hides go, you can get natural hides from Hardtke leather in El Paso, TX. They are really good to deal with and have a good selection on hand. If you are wanting natural hides to dye, Im not sure how this will work. They hides are all hot stuffed in drums when they are dyed, and I think the natural ones get the same treatment with no dye, so I dont know how it will take dyes. Hardtke offers a lot of different colors in the craft grade hides, its not braiding quality, so I dont know what they are like as I have never used them. Give them a call and see what they have.

CW