oclack

The Mythical Tiger/ritza Thread...

It seems that Tiger/Ritza thread made by the Julius Koch company is widely regarded as some of the best material for hand stitching. I have to agree so far given the small samples I've been able to find and use - really like it. That Tandy thread I was using pales in comparison.

All that said... Does any know where to buy this from in the United States? In small or large quantities?

I can't find one source, let alone a reliable source, for Tiger/Ritza thread here. I've only been able to order it as small samples from the UK and shipping cost make that not a sustainable option. If not for those small samples, I'd think the stuff was mythical - since its about as hard to find as a unicorn.

I'd even be willing to buy larger or industrial spools if that's all I can find.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Are you buying it off Ebay UK or Etsy if you are you would be better off buying from Abbey England http://abbeyengland.com/ when you can get the full rolls, that's the only place I know of that sells the full rolls. I once spoke to a sales rep at Julius Koch in Germany and if you aren't a very large business they won't deal with you Also couldn't find out any other distributor/wholesaler/retailer anywhere else from them for small orders they will only direct you to Abbey.

I use a lot of colours in my work I was after about 50 rolls two of each colour at one time and I was still directed to Abbey.

I did however come across this place recently but haven't contacted them yet http://www.jkusa.com/contact.htm I am unsure if they have the full line of the German Julius Koch or even if they are part of that group but it might be a place to start.

It seems the braided threads are more popular in England, Australia, New Zealand and Europe as there are other brands around they are Zircon,Mox, and Slam but I don't think you would be able to find them easily in the US either. There are a couple of others you might be able to find they are Serabraid and Coats Classic you can try http://www.amannusa.com/ for the serabraid. I recently directed someone else to them but aren't sure whether they contacted them or not and for Coats Classic http://www.coatsindustrial.com/en/products/industrial-threads/classic they should be able to direct you to a supplier for the US as they found me one for Western Australia.

I use threads from all the ones I mentioned as I'm not able to get all the colours I need from one brand they are all very similar to Tiger though if you don't have any luck with jkusa and don't want to ship from Abbey.

Hope this helps a bit

Tiger thread is not available in North America.

I do have Black and Dark Brown that I sell for $10 per 20 meters, postage free in North America.

If you would like to buy some just let me know.

Cheers.

I sounds like it is group buy time. Is someone over in England reading this that would purchase some and send it over? I would personally buy a few rolls and would front buying it and send it forwards. Aaron

Shipping would kill you!

That is why I figured that it would be better to put 20 rolls in one box rather than 20 boxes.

Is there any interest here in a group buy? Tentatively looking like a 500 meter roll will go for about $50 to your door. If I have to front the money it would be a little more. Aaron

• Oclack
  • I live in the uk near Abbey,, and I have Ritza here. I am happy to sell small amounts and post it to you. Let me look into how much an airmail letter is, and how much I could wind around a piece of card to fit into it .
  • Best wishes Zoe

I'd be happy to buy some from you, if you figure out how much it will cost.

At first, Julius Koch is Danish company (not Germany). They have centers and factories in Germany and Ukraine. ( http://www.juliuskoch.com/aboutus/organisation.php , http://www.juliuskoch.com/aboutus/management.php) Also sales offices in Italy and China (http://www.juliuskoch.com/contact/sales-offices.php)

I called to Ukrainian office today, to ask them about Ritza25 for sale. But answer was denial. They don't sale this type at all. Just produce. (to export)

So I had a question (rhetorical): FOR WHOM they produce it? Two factories in Germany and Ukraine export to all over the world, but so hard to find it and buy...

Electrathon, I would be interested in a spool of white or cream thread. Depending on how soon it is, might be able to get a roll of med brown as well. Can send money through PayPal.

HI all,

Having obtained some 50m pieces thru Etsy, I would also be interested in 4 or 5 spools, to last me a while! Electrathon, if you haven't ordered yet, please count me in. I live in Toronto, Canada, and was thinking of ordering some Dixon Pricking irons as well.

best regards,

mg

As a note, we've put in an order with the factory for a batch of their thread in white and black for the Michigan City show. 1.0 and 0.8mm in 500m spools, should arrive sometime in February, and we can also order any of the other colors from Abbey England if need be.

I recently ordered a few different colors 50m of the 1mm on Etsy from Leather Wurx.

There's a shop here in Denmark that had some rolls of tiger thread in stock last time I was there. I'll gladly check if they still stock it and try to find out more about this - apparently Danish - company, Julius Koch .

I'm not a fan of tiger thread myself. I prefer linen. However from experience I think Ronso thread (from the us) stitches very similar to tiger thread.

• Oclack
  • I live in the uk near Abbey,, and I have Ritza here. I am happy to sell small amounts and post it to you. Let me look into how much an airmail letter is, and how much I could wind around a piece of card to fit into it .
  • Best wishes Zoe

Is your offer to purchase some of the Tiger thread and send it to the US still open? If so, I need 1 each of tan and dark brown if available. 50 meters (+/-) would be fine. Bill

I just started working in a leather shop here in Denmark. Actually the one I mentioned in the previous post. Somehow I ended up accepting a job offer from them.

Long story short. We have Tiger thread in stock and in some different colours and probably thicknesses too - I can check up on it, if some of you would be interested in it.

I sounds like it is group buy time. Is someone over in England reading this that would purchase some and send it over? I would personally buy a few rolls and would front buying it and send it forwards. Aaron

Electrathon, I too would be interested in some of this thread, please let me knnow if you are planning a group purchase

We are starting to get shipments of the thread into our shop. If you let us know what you are looking for specifically, we are more than happy to sell it. We keep black and white 1.0mm and 0.8mm on hand almost constantly. Just shoot me a PM.

We are starting to get shipments of the thread into our shop. If you let us know what you are looking for specifically, we are more than happy to sell it. We keep black and white 1.0mm and 0.8mm on hand almost constantly. Just shoot me a PM.

I was glad the other day when I saw your post that you had received a shipment. So the question is: What are you selling it for? And what colors/sizes do you have?

Shipping really isn't that bad. I ordered two 500m rolls and shipping was only $16.