Sign in to follow this  
brettra

Brand New Here... Craftaid Question

Hello Community,

I am brand new here and hoping to be new to Leather work. I have inherited a few thousand dollars worth of stamps, knives, shapers, letters etc. Everything is in excellent condition and I am waiting on an order of leather and some beginner books to get me started. I am thinking that some bookmarks, coin pouches and things of this nature will be a good start. Some of the gear seems to date back as it was boxed up with a catalogue from 1968!

Anyway, I am understanding most principles and look forward to trying out many skills to see how well I can create something. The one thing that is unclear right now is how the leather craftaids are used.

My understanding is that they are a reverse templates. Could someone point me in the right direction to understand (preferably step by step) how these are used. Using Transfer Film is straight forward. I am unclear is this is really a similar process. I've exhausted google and site searches to see if any images or video on the subject is available. So, my request is now to the experts :)

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Scott to use the craft aids your leather needs to be damp. Then put the aid on the leather and rub it with a modeling spoon ( you can them in the catalog you have ) or you just use a regular spoon. Lift up one end while holding the other to make sure have all of the design and start cutting with your swivel knife and start tooling.

Scott to use the craft aids your leather needs to be damp. Then put the aid on the leather and rub it with a modeling spoon ( you can them in the catalog you have ) or you just use a regular spoon. Lift up one end while holding the other to make sure have all of the design and start cutting with your swivel knife and start tooling.

Thanks for the reply. So esentially, it is just a transfer. How does this work then for precise transfers? The one's I've seen seem to have multiple images that can be used. How would you precisely transfer just a single image? Is there any reference for position on the back of the craftaid?

Thanks again,

Scott

Edit: Upon further checking I think I may have the wrong idea.... On Tandy Leather's site, I am seeing craftaid designs on leather. My understanding is that a "leather template" was being provided. Is it in fact a polymar template that is provided? This would clarify everything for me. Sorry if this seems really dense of me on this.

Edited by brettra

Craft aids are plastic. I'm not sure what your talking about. Do you have a picture ?

Craftaids are clear plastic with the design raised on one side only. you dampen your leather, lay your craftaid over it with the raised ridges facing down against your leather. looking through the clear plastic you position the the design where you want it on your leather, then rub across the smooth back of the plastic. this pushes the raised ridges of the design into your dampened leather, leaving an impression for you to follow when you carve the design. the catalog is showing what the design looks like after it's tooled into leather. that's an example and not the actual craftaid.

sounds like you have a good start already,

good luck,

ken

Thank you all for the answers. It is much clearer now. I was looking at the tandyleather site: My link and was being confused by the images of leather products. I was thinking that a leather example was provided and I had to somehow transfer this to a plastic template to use or use the leather image somehow??? (I know, brain wasn't firing on all pistons :P )

Anyway, right now most of my time is reading the books and information I have come across and borrowed from the library. I am figuring my first projects will be started likely just before end of month. Living in the far north of Canada means not a lot of resources are readily available.

Looks like a great community here and I hope to contribute in a worth while manner.

Scott

Hey Scott,

Glad i could help.

Actually you weren't too far off from how the old timers used to do it before craftaids. They would make their own templates called "tap offs" by cutting just the outlines of the designs (in reverse) in thick leather and letting it dry. Then they would seal it really well so that it couldn't absorb moister. After placing it face down on the damp leather they "tapped" all over the back of it with a heavy mallet to leave the outline impressions in the wet leather. Those tap offs could be used over and over just like a craftaid.

You have one big advantage of having a large collection of good tools available. Learn how to use them and take good care of them.

There's plenty of instructional material in books, DVDs, and especially on this forum that can help you. Lots of great people here.

practice, practice, and practice some more, and you will be amazed how fast your skills improve.

good luck,

ken

How does this work then for precise transfers? The one's I've seen seem to have multiple images that can be used. How would you precisely transfer just a single image?

Many people keep their craftaids intact, which makes registration 'iffy' sometimes. I tend to cut mine apart to use the individual parts & to perhaps combine several different craftaids segments to make a new design.

When using modeling tool or spoon to transfer the pattern don't press any harder than needed.

Pressing to hard will curl or break the craftaid. I like to use a roller.

Thanks for the helpful info all once again. I have a roller in my kit as well so I can definitely do some experimenting. I'm glad to know also my idea of leather transfer wasn't too far off.

I need to find a home (safe corner of the house) that the kids won't get into the tools. Most are in really good shape but some of the shapers appear to be slightly damaged. (Likely from personalization preference) All-in-all though, I can't complain because replacing a few stamps and shapers won't run me anywhere near purchase of a beginners kit. I keep checking sites just to see the practical purposes of some of the tools. The biggest problem I will have is keeping my first projects under control, using the basic tools and not overwhelming myself with everything available.

Great info, thanks.