Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

Mother Hubbard Saddle

Does anyone here have any idea why the saddle style is named "Mother Hubbard" saddle?? (Mother Hubbard must have been a remarkable woman since she gave name to a western saddle style ?? just a thought! )

Also, did the old time Mother Hubbard saddles have a ground seat (full- or half seat )under the mochila ?

A history lesson , please!!!

/ Knut

Does anyone here have any idea why the saddle style is named "Mother Hubbard" saddle?? (Mother Hubbard must have been a remarkable woman since she gave name to a western saddle style ?? just a thought! )

Also, did the old time Mother Hubbard saddles have a ground seat (full- or half seat )under the mochila ?

A history lesson , please!!!

/ Knut

OK Knut, I'll take a shot at this.

I have been given to understand that it derives from an old nursery rhyme about "Old Mother Hubbard" who went to her cupboard to get her poor dog a bone...

I don't know if the original printing of this included an illustration of Mother Hubbard in her bonnet, but plainswomen were often depicted in a bonnet that incorporated a large, stiff rounded piece that went over the head from one ear to the other and was tied with a bow under the chin to shade the face. They are sometimes referred to as "Mother Hubbards" although the dress is actually the item that bears the name.

The one-piece leather covering of the saddle is very similar to that bonnet.

And yes, all the ones that I have seen have goundseats.

That's what happens when you become a Grandpa, you start being able to quote nursery rhymes...

Mike

Edited by Mike Craw

Ha ha, Mike Craw! I think you might be right! It sure sounds like that's the reason they're called that. You wouldn't be able to ask the kids of today to recite that nursery rhyme. I guess that shows our age!:NEWFUNNYPOST:

OK Knut, I'll take a shot at this.

I have been given to understand that it derives from an old nursery rhyme about "Old Mother Hubbard" who went to her cupboard to get her poor dog a bone...

I don't know if the original printing of this included an illustration of Mother Hubbard in her bonnet, but plainswomen were often depicted in a bonnet that incorporated a large, stiff rounded piece that went over the head from one ear to the other and was tied with a bow under the chin to shade the face. They are sometimes referred to as "Mother Hubbards" although the dress is actually the item that bears the name.

The one-piece leather covering of the saddle is very similar to that bonnet.

And yes, all the ones that I have seen have goundseats.

That's what happens when you become a Grandpa, you start being able to quote nursery rhymes...

Mike

hahaha :specool:

Sounds like a resonable explanation to me! Thank´s for the info on the ground seat,

Qouting rhymes in the lonelyness of the saddle shop might be a good idea !

I found the Mother Hubbard rhyme on Wikipedia so I´ll give it a try . :blahblahblah:

/ Knut

Sorry, but what is this saddle named "Mother Hubbard"? A photo please?

This is a Mother Hubbard saddle. The saddle is covered with a piece ( actually two pieces laced together) of leather called Mochila. The period is 1850-1860.

/ Knut

post-5173-094959800 1321949397_thumb.jpg