Erystawi

Dog Saddlepack?

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has made a saddlepack, backpack, for dogs? I'm not sure how to translate it from Norwegian: "kløv", or "hundekløv" (dog backpack/ dog saddlepack?) Anyway, it's a bag almost looking like a saddlepack, but for dogs carrying it.

Anyone here made this ting?

Thank you.

Eva from northern Norway.

ps, coudn't find picture of leather "kløv".. -some picture of my dogs with nylon backpack/kløv.

post-50633-0-67297500-1395401323_thumb.j

post-50633-0-11192100-1395401332_thumb.j

they look like pushbike (bicycle) pannier that fit over the parcel carrier over the back wheel

see

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_809201_langId_-1_categoryId_236256

I've been looking for a pattern to do this. I've never made a bag, and don't even know where to begin...

You can buy saddlebags for dogs on the web. My dog has one. Unfortunately, most of the ones I have seen are for large dogs. I have 170-180 pound great pyrenees, so he can handle the weight. Your dogs don't look that big, so be careful about overloading them. If you look at the pictures on the web, I'm sure you'll figure out a pattern. Google "backpacks for dogs" to get a list of vendors.

Quest outfitters has a pattern for a dog pack.

Here's a link.

http://www.questoutfitters.com/patterns-misc-cart.htm#Misc.%20Patterns

... the pattern is not for leather but perhaps it would be a good place to start. Check out retailers that sell to the outdoors market. (canoeing, kayaking etc.)

are they Jack Russell's?

Thanks for the link Bob. This will get me started.

Hello, and thanks for all the help.

Yes, they are Jack Russells, my own kennel :)

-I did look in my old stuff from when I took "the Norwegian horse school": of "saddle-and harness-making-coars" (hard to translate correctly)

and there I found backpack pattern/template for dogs! YES :D

Hi Erystawi,

I have made a few different sizes of dog packs for both my own and a few friends. You can make them as easy or complicated as you wish. Mine pretty much were modelled after horse packs; the kind that go behind the saddle. I also padded the piece that goes across the back with some sheepskin to make it more comfortable.

A few tips on "packing" your dogs: Make sure the load is balanced or your four-legger will look and walk like potbelly pig in no time. Pad the inside of the bags (the one against the dog's side) with something soft, like a folded washcloth, if you're putting any thing hard (like bicuits) in the pack. According to my vet, a healthy dog can carry about a third of its body weight in a pack ( i.e. a sixty pound dog could carry about twenty pounds) although I like to keep the load to about a quarter of the dog's weight, just in case.

Have fun !

Black Dogg

That is great info Black Dogg... Thanks for the tips.

I'd like to find a pattern as well for a canvas style dog pack. They're expensive if you buy them outright, but much more affordable to make.

palisadesbianca.jpg

Edited by RoosterShooter