Sign in to follow this  
rawhider

Making a Folded Honda

Okay, here are a series of pics of making a folded honda.

First, measure out a strap 1 1/2" by 8" or 9". Make a circle and overlap it about 1 1/2", then mark the ends. These marks will later tell you where to start your holes for the laceing and also where to cut the hole for the tapered end to go into.

honda_blank.jpg

fold_and_overlap.jpg

mark_ends.jpg

post-5252-1226084175_thumb.jpg

post-5252-1226084190_thumb.jpg

post-5252-1226084207_thumb.jpg

Edited by rawhider

Next, measure your hole spaces between the two lines you marked and punch them out. Make sure to punch out two holes on each side of either end, aswell as a large hole on the line opposite the tapered end. Now, depending on how you want to lace it, fold the strap so you can lace up the holes on the back of the honda. I lace from both ends to ensure strength. Lase around untill you run out of holes. Now, you can either put the honda on a shaper, or you can cover a pair of pliers with a rag and flatten out the honda. This is up to oyu, I like the look of it.After you have the desired shape, you are almost done. All you need to do is secure your loose laceing ends. You can braid down a shaft, then interweave back up and turn a ring knot, or you can just do a ring knot, it's entirely up to you. Good luck, and post pics of yours.Now, all you have to do is secure your loose lacing ends. I braided down a shaft, then back braided it up, and ended with a ring knot. I've seen them with just a ring knot, it's totally up to you. Enjoy! I want to see pics of yours now!

holes_punched.jpg

pulled_through_hole_side_view.jpg

lacing_honda.jpg

crimping_honda.jpg

finished_folded_honda.jpg

finished_folded_honda.jpg

post-5252-1226084657_thumb.jpg

post-5252-1226084676_thumb.jpg

post-5252-1226084693_thumb.jpg

post-5252-1226084710_thumb.jpg

post-5252-1226084986_thumb.jpg

post-5252-1226085057_thumb.jpg

Rawhider,

First of all, i want to say thanks for taking time to make this tutorial.

Now second, i have some questions....

- when and how in the process did you put the hole in the bottom of the honda where the rope comes through?.... did you punch it or drill it out?????????

- when your done lacing, how do you route the strings to the rope hole where you then brade down the shaft of the drill bit?... im gessing that they are ran through the inside of the fold and then poked through the rope hole... am i right...

if possible could you maybe post a few more pics of the honda from different angles.... I know im asking for A LOT but i would realy appreciate eny help you can give me...

the only rawhide i have right now is just a hair thin so i'm going to make a practice honda for one of my little chicken ropes that my youngest brother ropes the dumy with... when i get some thicker stuff then i make a bigger one for regular use on a real rope.( hope i can get it tomarrow at the local tack shop)

I have absolutly "0" exsperiance with rawhide and dont have a clue what im doing or if im doing it right... i took the little peice i had and put it in a buckaet of Hot water for about 45mins-1 hour.. when i took it out it was Realy soft lightened in color... i gessing it dont need to be that wet... am i suppost to work it a little dryer when it sorta has some stifness to it like case tooling leather but yet has some limberness...

sorry for my ignorance and thanks for eny help you give!

Jed

Edited by flathat4life

h_1.jpgh_2.jpgh_3.jpg

ok so here I am.. I was up tell 2 o'clock last night trying to figure this out... i got as far as my pics show but then i was getting a little tired so went to bed... Just about made my eye balls fall out trying to figure out how you braided from both ends ... After studing your pics real hard i sorrta just had to jump in and do it...

theres one spot where i missed a braid and didn't get it under the strand i was suppost to. Other than that, i think im on the right track. I gess im not doing to bad having never worked with rawhide before...

the only exsperiance i have with braiding is tieing the fadora knot on the bottom of a horse halter...can i tie that on the bottom of this honda? or should i learn how to braid somthing else.. i went diging threw some of my books and found The Leather Encyclopedia that a old guy gave me a few years ago when he fouund out liked leather work... i never cracked in open tell just now... i think it shows how to braide some other knots so i look through it....

In addition to the questions i asked above.... how do you braid the stringsdown the shaft... with a educated gess i'd say that the four strands are braider down then doubled back to for a 8 plait braid but im not forsure.... also, it the knot on top of the shaft apart of the same string or is it seperate???????

(This is so exciting for me... I'm finnaly working with rawhide.... )

Again, sorry for my ignorance.....

Jed

post-8303-1234809614_thumb.jpg

post-8303-1234809635_thumb.jpg

post-8303-1234809647_thumb.jpg

h_1.jpgh_2.jpgh_3.jpg

ok so here I am.. I was up tell 2 o'clock last night trying to figure this out... i got as far as my pics show but then i was getting a little tired so went to bed... Just about made my eye balls fall out trying to figure out how you braided from both ends ... After studing your pics real hard i sorrta just had to jump in and do it...

theres one spot where i missed a braid and didn't get it under the strand i was suppost to. Other than that, i think im on the right track. I gess im not doing to bad having never worked with rawhide before...

the only exsperiance i have with braiding is tieing the fadora knot on the bottom of a horse halter...can i tie that on the bottom of this honda? or should i learn how to braid somthing else.. i went diging threw some of my books and found The Leather Encyclopedia that a old guy gave me a few years ago when he fouund out liked leather work... i never cracked in open tell just now... i think it shows how to braide some other knots so i look through it....

In addition to the questions i asked above.... how do you braid the stringsdown the shaft... with a educated gess i'd say that the four strands are braider down then doubled back to for a 8 plait braid but im not forsure.... also, it the knot on top of the shaft apart of the same string or is it seperate???????

(This is so exciting for me... I'm finnaly working with rawhide.... )

Again, sorry for my ignorance.....

Jed

Hey, Jed. For not having done anything like this you're doin really good.

As for the finishing knot, you are on the right track. Loosely braid the 4 strands down the lariat as far as you want, then turn them around and weave them back up. Depending on how oyu weave them back up you will get a pineapple knot weave or a gaucho knot weave.

When you get to the top, I pick two long strand that are opposite eachother and work them into the ring knot at the base of the honda. That will give the long knot a good ending as it's hard to make the start of that knot look good.

Keep it up and good luck!

~Luke

Thanks alot luke... i appreciate the help

i just stuck the strig end of my honda in a bucket of water so i'l be ready to make progress here in a little bit... i'll keep my fingers crossed and try to get it right the first time but mostlikly i be untieing and starting over aleast once before shes finished... should have some pics. posted within the next couple of days so check back in..

Jed

4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

well here she is.. I tied it on a older and shorter rope of mine that i dont ever use.. plan on makeing a couple more for some of my better ropes... Its a little ruff around the edges but for my first rawhide/braiding project i pretty proud of my self..

the pineapple knot that go's down the shaft came out better than i thought it was going to.. i had to undo it the first time i braided it.. when i turned my strings around to go back up the knot i got a little confused.. looking back i think i had it right the first time but just gave up and redid it instead of thinking it through.. i ran out of string on top and didn't have enough to braid the ring knot.. i compromised and just did the quick fadora halter knot i already knew how to tie.. Besides the fact that i didn't know how to make the ring knot work... maybe if some of you guys want, you could post a couple pics demostrating how to tie it.. hope to get another one started here soon with some larger string...

Thanks for all the help.. i realy apprecaite it!

Jed

post-8303-1235441641_thumb.jpg

post-8303-1235441706_thumb.jpg

post-8303-1235441804_thumb.jpg

Looks great to me, better than the one I made.

thanks megabit...

jed

Hey, that looks really good! Nice kack you got there... never seen a rope strap concho quite like that before. Doesn't that get in the way of your dallys?

Hey, that looks really good! Nice kack you got there... never seen a rope strap concho quite like that before. Doesn't that get in the way of your dallys?

thanks rawhider..

the rope strap concho is somthing that i was messing around with this winter and made up.. i'l probly end up taking a pocket knife to it before to long.. might take it off and replace it with a samller on or just eliminate it alltogether.. as you can see, the saddle hasent seen very many miles yet but i look forward to breaking it in when the spring brandings roll around =)

Jed