kidbeey

Junior Redhide Stockwhip

My grandson who is ten years old, asked if I could make him a whip. I have not made a whip for about 25 years and only had an old hide that was around 40 years old.

So I went down to the workshop and came up with the article photographed below. It is only a four strand whip and the handle is made of Toheti cane. To add a bit of extra weight to the handle for balance purposes, I turned a hardwood hand grip on my wood lathe, drilled in out and glued it over the handle.

He is learning to crack it but gets frustrated. I told him it is all to do with the wrist action, but he is trying too hard and is yet to master it.

post-51297-0-61398200-1419735437_thumb.jpost-51297-0-37219200-1419735459_thumb.j

Looks real fine to me. I bet he is real happy with it.

I know I would be.

How long is it?

Is the leather Latigo, perhaps?

Joel

Thanks for replying GrampaJoe.

The plaited length is about 5 foot. i do not know what you called the leather in the USA but here is a description from a tannery:-

"Red Hide

Colours :- Red!

Weight Range :-

3mm

4.5mm

Description :- An Alum based tanned leather that is traditionally dyed red in colour. Heavily oiled to provide a softer more durable product. Used when a low stretch strong leather is required. Messy to work with as the red dye does continue to bleed out of the leather while being worked. (As it does when playing cricket.)

Ideal for whips, plaiting, reins, repairs etc."

The tannery I got it from years ago, got closed down due to enviromental controls as the suburbs grew into their area. They used to import a chemical from India that they added to the tanning process. Their redhide skins were favoured by whipmakers because the leather had a bit more stretch in it.

Very nice & I'm sure he's having a ball with it. Buck

Kids will be kids and want that instant gratification. Tell him to take his time. The whip will crack when it is ready to crack for him. Honestly, a stock whip has been the most difficult to learn for me. Signals, snakes and bulls seem to crack readily. My stock has taken a bit of time to become proficient at, let alone master.

The whip itself seems to have a nice smooth taper, it will crack when it and your son come to terms. :)