blue99

Treadle Belts?

I need information or should I ask for opinions on leather treadle belt or o-thane (rounthane) belt. I have a Singer 31-15 and a Singer 29k71 and I need to replace the treadle belts on both. The Singer 31-15, I have to take the belt off and tilt the head to change the bobbin. Then again where can a person by the synthetic belts? Thanks, John.

I have two Singer treadle machines, the oldest being a 127 model made in 1922, and I use the traditional leather belts --- I think it adds to the nostalgia and character of the machines.

When I install a new belt I rub it down with a good leather conditioner before I put it on the machine and I stretch it slightly, then install it.

Once installed, I use violin bow rosin on the belt to give it a little more grip.

~Tramp~

I am sure someone local to you has belts, but if not I have bought new leather belt from rooster rock sewing in Portland oregon.

If you are looking to buy a new belt, try this company, I have bought several things from them...

http://shop.sew-classic.com/Belt-Treadle-universal-3-16-diameter-P60013.htm

You can also buy belt material in bulk on eBay...

& we had a problem with the connecter not holding,so we just stick with selling the leather belting.

Thanks for the information....I have been using recoil starter rope.... with a piece of bailing wire for a staple. I guess i will invest in a couple of leather belts. Thanks again, John, blue99.

For connecters I found that the metal hook type tend to wear the holes and they break out after a while so I have had better luck using nylon thread. Oil about an inch of the belt at each end real good then use a small round pointed object rather then an awl so it spreads the hole rather than cutting a slit to make the holes. Then use the smallest needle you can thread with the thread you want to use and go around as many times as you can till the hole is full tie the ends with a square knot and it seems to last forever. This has worked real good on old belts that have been dried out and kept breaking at a metal hook. Using this I have never had to replace a belt.