ctkroper

Rope Can And Belts

Iv been messing with leather for about a year . i rope and want to make a rope can . i know to make them you just tool a circle pattern the size of the can and glue it down. i was wondering .... whats the best leather to use? whats the easiest way to cut the circle out? and what kind of glue is the best to use?

iv been making belts to but iv been wanting to know how the do a hide inlay inside the belts? i dont know to much but im learning more everyday about making them any info on how to make belts would be great!

So, all that you are looking to do is decorate a rope can, or do you want to make the whole can out of leather? Al Stolhman did a series of 3 books on making cases with leather.

Ya just the plastic ropin cans I wanna cover the top! I got one make a while back but I'm wanting to make my own!! But ya just decortate it on the top for now!!

I glue my tops on with Masters Cement, I apply glue to both pieces and let it dry, often I speed this process with heat, then apply glue to both sides again heat it a little and put them togather. make sure you have it where you want it.

Dink

Ya just the plastic ropin cans I wanna cover the top! I got one make a while back but I'm wanting to make my own!! But ya just decortate it on the top for now!!

I make my lid cover out of 7/8 oz veggie tan. To cut the circle to fit I cut a piece of leather a little larger than the lid and tack it on with rubber cement then I use a razor knife to trim it to fit. I use the lid as the guide for the knife.

Thank y'all alot! I'm working on it now! Another thing ....have y'all ever made belts with inlays!? Like putting different hides inside??

Thank y'all alot! I'm working on it now! Another thing ....have y'all ever made belts with inlays!? Like putting different hides inside??

HEy There!

I did up a rope can for my brother in law for christmas, I almost pulled all my hair out! The can had an 8-9oz veggie outter circle about one inch wide with nickle spots. The inside was all hair on, I actually branded his name on the top and brand on the bottom with a four inch concho in the middle. Then I cut an old rope apart and glued it around the very outside. I will post a picture if I figure out how.post-21674-007369000 1305137530_thumb.jp Hair on looks good but isn't all that easy. You really gotta make sure the hair is all trimmed and going the right way. I don't recomend branding on soft or pliable leather goods as I had already cemented the hide to the can before I branded it so it wouldn't shrink up. I have also done some trial and error stuff with the hair on items. I built one knife sheath and one holster for my ruger single six. Both turned out but neither turned out amazing. The sheath was built out of 8oz latigo with silver spots and by the time i was done it was way to thick (i had too many layers) but I still use it. The holster had far too much hair showing and was weak on the fold and looked like hell, its in the oops bin! With a hair on belt I would start with a chap or garment liner 2-4oz then the hair hide then the tooling leather probably no more than 4-6oz for the top. Leave the liner and hair on glued together as one piece and carefully cut your holes out of the tooling leather to show the hair then do any carving, stamping, spots, conchos etc. on the tooling leather and glue and sew or lace them all together. I haven't been doing this for very long but its only advice!

ya im working on a rope can now its looking good hope ill sell a few if this one turns out good! thanks for the tips on the belts i was thinking it was somethin like that but ill have to try it out an see wat works best!! thanks so much.