summerfabian

Wanted: A Basic Beginners Leather Sewing Machine

Hey ya'll,

I need a basic beginners leather sewing machine.

I don't have $1k.

I plan to sew maybe two layers of upholstery leather as a gauge. Thats it. I don't anticipate anything heavier.

I'm in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Anyone have something suitable?

Thanks!

Summer Fabian

Great question! Try to find a Singer 111w155. It was used by the Army and Marines for sewing gloves and parachutes.

All around good machine. Cheap.

Kevin

Hey ya'll,

I don't have $1k.

I plan to sew maybe two layers of upholstery leather as a gauge. Thats it. I don't anticipate anything heavier.

Thanks!

Summer Fabian

Hi Summer. I have a Singer 15-91 I'm almost finished rehabbing. I love mine, it'll sew anything from silk to around 1/4" leather. I decided to keep one and sell one, so let me know if you're interested.

I know lots of folks think Craigs list is a ripoff but I bought my Adler 167 from a guy in Rochester, NY it was listed on Craigslist for 300 bucks. It works great and it is in my shop. The machine on this link is what you want to sew your leather with maybe you can find one closer to home. Good luck.

http://annapolis.craigslist.org/for/2927995562.html

Hey ya'll,

I don't have $1k.

Thanks!

Summer Fabian

I know lots of folks think Craigs list is a ripoff but I bought my Adler 167 from a guy in Rochester, NY it was listed on Craigslist for 300 bucks. It works great and it is in my shop. The machine on this link is what you want to sew your leather with maybe you can find one closer to home. Good luck.

http://annapolis.cra...2927995562.html

That's a good leather machine for the price. I'd go with his suggestion. Cheryl

Now that's a question for the sewing machine guys, I just know singers and have seen the adler threads on here :-)

Thanks guys!

I found a local(ish) Consew model CN3115RB-1

Is that similar and leather worthy? Let me knwo and I'll jump on it.

Thanks!

Summer

I think it should work for your needs. It is more of a garment machine than a leather machine, but it will work with garment leathers and light upholstery. It only does a straight stitch. It is a very basic machine.

Hey ya'll,

I don't have $1k.

Thanks!

Summer Fabian

I have a very nice Singer 31-15 leather machine...PM me if you interrested!

James

Hello DoubleC,

Do you still have the extra Singer 15-91? I am looking to start making my own ammo pouches and knife sheaths and am looking for a machine to do it.

Thanks

Hi Summer. I have a Singer 15-91 I'm almost finished rehabbing. I love mine, it'll sew anything from silk to around 1/4" leather. I decided to keep one and sell one, so let me know if you're interested.

Hello DoubleC,

Do you still have the extra Singer 15-91? I am looking to start making my own ammo pouches and knife sheaths and am looking for a machine to do it.

Thanks

Hi Rowan. I sent you a PM with all the options I have available on some 15-91s, with or without cases, with or without cabinets, etc. I have three coming in this week. Thanks, Cheryl

Hi Summerfabian - for what you describe a regular domestic sewing machine will actually work decently. I've been sewing up items with 2 layers of upholstery leather for several years on assorted domestics.

You just have to make sure that you have a correctly sized leather needle (with diamond/knife tip), appropriately heavy nylon thread (I use #69 bonded), a teflon presser foot and sew with a long stitch (I use about a 6).

It does help if it's NOT one of those sub $100 computerized things. The computer bits and dinky motor tend to freak out. Depending on the leather surface finish and density some leathers might cause trouble, but for the most part it's pretty good.

The $20-30 metal body Singers often found at thrift stores work great.

Best of luck!

Edited by niftycurly

dont know if this thread is still alive...my mint condition Singer 211G155 needs a new home, table, new parts, just serviced, new belt, head and huge clutch motor!! Several presser feet and lots of new needles...

will let go for $500,-

let me know