Pappys Leather

Painting On Leather

I am just getting into painting on leather. I want to make a holster and paint the American flag on it. Do I dye the leather first then paint the flag or paint the flag first, seal it and then dye the holster? It won't be all thirteen stripes or 50 stars. Not quite sure how to explain my idea what I am planning on doing.

I don't do a lot of it, . . . mostly small logo's, etc, . . . but when I do, . . . I finish the holster, dyed, sewn, burnished, and the final finish (usually Resolene) applied.

THEN, . . . I paint. As I understand it, . . . the paint and the Resolene are very similar, . . . so when the paint dries, . . . I'm done.

I use the paints from Tandy Leather.

May God bless,

Dwight

I dye with spirit dye first then acryllic paint before neatfoot oil and sealer. The spirit dye makes the surface to paint on ideal due to the alcohol is cleaning away all fat from the surface and make the paint stick really good. IF I'm using red or yellow dye and planing to use white acryllic paint ontop...I'm making sure no dye ends up under the paint, it will show up thrue the white :-(