muskma

Stamping tools list for a newbie

I'm a total newbie to tooling and wanting to know where to start. (I've worked with building things from leather for years but have never tried any tooling) Can anyone give me, or tell me where to find, a list of the basic tool numbers that I should get to start with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (There is no Tandy store anywhere near me to take a class from)

Do you know what kind of stamping/carving you are wanting to do yet? The tools you will need will be different depending on if you are interested in traditional floral carving, Sheridan style floral carving, figure carving, or basketweave/geometric stamping. Let us know what direction you are leaning in, and we should be able to help you out with some ideas.

I think I'd like to start with traditional floral. I have Al Stohlman's Inverted carving book and just ordered his How to Carve Leather book, so will be starting using some of those patterns.

Do you know what kind of stamping/carving you are wanting to do yet? The tools you will need will be different depending on if you are interested in traditional floral carving, Sheridan style floral carving, figure carving, or basketweave/geometric stamping. Let us know what direction you are leaning in, and we should be able to help you out with some ideas.

If you can afford it, buy a basic 15 piece Ellis Barnes tool set either direct from Ellis or from

http://www.siegelofca.com

This set costs $145 or about $10/tool. It is an excellent value and will get you started with tooling. Fill in with Robert Beard, Barry King, or Ellis Barnes tools as needed, or buy Tandy tools to try them out (especially ones you don't use that often). You'll need a good maul and Barry King can provide that, start with 16oz. You'll also need a big stone on a no bounce table to stamp on, and a grave stone that a stone cutter messed-up or a cheap surface plate from Harbor Freight or Grizzly will work. Granite is very good, marble can break sooner.

Art

I think I'd like to start with traditional floral. I have Al Stohlman's Inverted carving book and just ordered his How to Carve Leather book, so will be starting using some of those patterns.

I checked Siegel but don't see any sets, and don't know which ones are the "basic 15" tools. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Can anyone help me with a list of which "basic 15" tools to get?

If you can afford it, buy a basic 15 piece Ellis Barnes tool set either direct from Ellis or from

http://www.siegelofca.com

PM me with your email, I'll forward the last Friday Special, it's on there.

Art