OdinUK

Background Tool Problems

When using the A104-2, the small pointed background tool, I get nice crisp patterns in the leather. (I dont think this one is craftool)

When I was want to matt a larger area I bought the Craftool F899. However, when I use this tool, the definition is not as well defined as the above tool. It looks like the chrome plating is filling up the pattern on the tool.

Am I using the wrong tool to get the same effect as the A104-2? Has anyone had problems with the chrome plating making the pattern less crisp?

I have other matting tools that work great but the pattern is a little coarse. I would like a fine pattern to be applied to a larger area.

Thanks.

Edited by OdinUK

F899 Craftool Figure Carving Stamp is not a background tool. The impressions it makes are not going to look like an A104-2 stamp. It is much softer than the A104 stamp. Its not a matter of the chrome coating. It is just not a background stamp.

You could try an A889 but it is only a little larger than the A104. Basically you do like the rest of us and just get really good at using the small tool. Its not hard to cover a large area in just a little time once you practice enough.

Michael.

Thanks Michael, I see. Yes, Ive been using the small tool for all areas. I think I have the hang of it, it just takes longer. I dont want the impressions to be as deep as I get from the larger matting tools so I'll just have to make do. Im glad to know the background tool isnt 'faulty'!

I don't know if you've noticed yet... but Tandy tools are coded.

A is for bAckground

B is for Beveler

C is for Camoflage

F is for Figure Carving

etc. It's easy to think one is another if you are just looking at the heads but there are subtle differences.

tandy makes an A104 that's the same but slightly larger for bigger areas

pete

You could try an A889 but it is only a little larger than the A104. Basically you do like the rest of us and just get really good at using the small tool. Its not hard to cover a large area in just a little time once you practice enough.

Michael.

I use the A104 for almost all my large area backgrounding.

Yup, of all the stamping sounds that my wife dislikes.... backgrounding large area is about the top of her list.

*taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap *

and then I get .... "OMG!! HOW MUCH MORE TAPPING!!??" censored2.gif

Then I just have to remind her that I gross about a penny for each taptap... clapping.gif

"OMG!! HOW MUCH MORE TAPPING!!??" censored2.gif

Your correct response should be....

"Enough to buy you a pretty bobble, my dear."

As the wise comedian Ron White says... "Diamonds..... That'll shut 'er up!"

Your correct response should be....

"Enough to buy you a pretty bobble, my dear."

As the wise comedian Ron White says... "Diamonds..... That'll shut 'er up!"

Hahahaha I LOVE IT! I'm going to use that one!

She can't seem to understand that sometimes I get in a groove when I'm stamping like that. You just get to where you're just crusing through it, muscle memory is going full bore and you're mainly just guiding the stamp along and any little thing that gets in your way is going to break it... so I go off into my own little 'taptap' world and don't want to come out until the work is done!

Hahahaha I LOVE IT! I'm going to use that one!

She can't seem to understand that sometimes I get in a groove when I'm stamping like that.

That is because she doesn't work leather... so all she knows is the noise and that your back is turned towards her. Calmly explain that it's better to work the leather when it's at the ideal "case" than to have to re-wet it when you come back to it later. Then immediately go out and buy her a hobby. A beading loom might be a good choice, because if she gets good at it you can incorporate her work into some of yours. Belly dance lessons might be good for obvious reasons... one gets her out of the house without YOU... two you get to see the benefit. But be warned those costumes are EXPENSIVE!

(see? I'm always thinking!)

I don't know if you've noticed yet... but Tandy tools are coded.

A is for bAckground

B is for Beveler

C is for Camoflage

F is for Figure Carving

etc. It's easy to think one is another if you are just looking at the heads but there are subtle differences.

Hi Sylvia, Yes i know the codes but the 'pitch' of the 'dots' that form the patten looked similar. I just thought that the F899 should have been more defined but I was wrong there. Im glad I didnt complain to my supplier about too much chrome! ;)

I have the A104 as well but its only a little longer. I'll try it out, I havent done that yet, thinking that there was not much difference between them.

I use the A104 for almost all my large area backgrounding.

Yup, of all the stamping sounds that my wife dislikes.... backgrounding large area is about the top of her list.

*taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap taptap *

and then I get .... "OMG!! HOW MUCH MORE TAPPING!!??" censored2.gif

Then I just have to remind her that I gross about a penny for each taptap... clapping.gif

hahaha.....man,,,that strikes a note with me!!!!!

when my daughter was in high school, i used to bring home work to be around the family.....

my daughter was at the shop recently while i was tooling,,,said, " oh my gosh,,,i had forgotten how annoying that tapping was! makes me want to cover my head with a pillow!!"

One of the series with background tools (including yours) in different sizes and shapes is:

Going from smallest to the biggest...

A104-2, A104, A105, A114

the next series with a bit bigger pattern than the last is:

A888-2, A888, A889, A118...

Hang on I post a picturechart I've made for them :-) Ther PA tools is from Hidecrafters...

post-5624-014872200 1335857110_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting the picture Tina! I have the A104-2, A104, A114 tools and the PA series. I tried to use the A114 tool on the larger areas but the pattern it leaves is coarser than the A104 so I felt that it didnt look right. I shall try out some practice tooling with all of them again on a scrap.

Thanks for posting the picture Tina! I have the A104-2, A104, A114 tools and the PA series. I tried to use the A114 tool on the larger areas but the pattern it leaves is coarser than the A104 so I felt that it didnt look right. I shall try out some practice tooling with all of them again on a scrap.

"but the pattern it leaves is coarser than the A104" ...Could it be that these tools of yours is from different time periods of Crafttools or different makers even?

The one I use the most in big areas is A105. This one is the easiest to get even and at the same time fastest to cover big surfaces...Just tapping along and go over the same/edge areas again (and again *S*)

Edited by Tina