lightingale

Bag Kote Vs. Tan Kote... Is There A Difference?

I use Tan Kote to dilute antique paste.

In my last order of supplies, I wasn't careful and ordered Bag Kote instead of Tan Kote.

Is there a difference? Can I still use Bag Kote to thin antique?

Just checked Fiebing's site and they clearly say that Tan-Kote is used to thin antique, but no mention of that in Bag Kote. That's all I have, sorry. Do you have enough antique to run a test piece? Just because it's not common enough for them to mention it doesn't mean it can't be done.

I'm pretty sure it would work. I heard that If you thin down Tan Kote you basically have Bag kote. By that logic I would think it would be fine however I would recommend you test a little first.

Tan Kote is resin based and Bag Kote is water based. I prefer Bag Kote as a finish since you have a little more time to work with it before it gets tacky. Bag Kote can be thinned with water and I believe (don't quote me) that Tan Kote has to be thinned with alcohol??

I don't know the answer to than, it says on the Jar not to mix anything with Tan Kote, of course right after that it says to use Tan Kote can be used to thin antique. It also says to keep away from children and it doesn't say that on Bag Kote so you're probably correct.

I never cared for Tan Kote as a finish, I only keep it around to thin antique but I swear I've thinned it with water before but maybe I'm thinking of Bag Kote (or I was just doing it wrong and that's why I don't like it).

The guy that owned my shop before me sold Tan Kote to everyone for everything, shoes, couches, jackets etc. I still get people asking for it on occasion and I do sell it to them but since its not something I use I've got most people switched to something else that I like better or I feel is better suited for what they need.

Tan Kote is resin based and Bag Kote is water based. I prefer Bag Kote as a finish since you have a little more time to work with it before it gets tacky. Bag Kote can be thinned with water and I believe (don't quote me) that Tan Kote has to be thinned with alcohol??

I mixed 2/1 Tan Kote to my Fiebing's Antique paste for my Sheridan style finishes. Works really well.

I guess I read the thread wrong....typical me. Yes, only use Tan kote to thin antique since Tan Kote is not water based.