csearider

Wingtip (Shoes/boots) Tooling

I would like to tool a wingtip pattern similar to those found on boots and shoes onto a leather belt. The wingtip pattern would be on belt edges and middle of belt would be smooth. Any suggestions on tools used for tooling the pattern and then dying the tooled wingtip pattern black with middle of belt stained brown?

My wingtips are all little holes punched in the leather, . . . so get a little punch, . . . and punch holes in the leather, . . . you'll have to make the pattern to suit you, . . . mine are a couple different sized holes.

Stain the whole thing brown to start with, . . . then being very careful, . . . dye the edges only.

May God bless,

Dwight

Good advice...have the hole thing with punch down and that is an easy way to do the stain and dyeing...any ideas on which tool to use to do the jagged edges (the feathering)?...I have no tool in my arsenal as everything I have has a curve to such as a veneer stamp......... would like one that is straight edged but with same type of feathering ........... looking to purchase one

Just to note...there are 2 types of wingtips...those that are straight edged and those that edges are feathered. The boots I have that I am matching the belt to are straight edged so advice is good and solid...thank you very much.....would like the feathered advice also if any one knows

I think I understand what you mean by feathering ... Something like you'd get with pinking shears? A picture of your boots would help others understand what you're looking for.

Bill

Assuming that you have a picture on your computer, click "more reply options". It will bring up an expanded version of the text box and an attach files button at the bottom. That will bring up a dialog box that lets you choose the picture to upload.

Alternately, if you find a picture on the boot maker's website, or some other, you can place a link by clicking the link tool in the toolbar above the reply textbox. You just copy the web address and then paste it into the URL box that comes up.

"Add reply" then posts your message.

Hope that helps!

Bill

Edited by billybopp

To separate wingtip from middle section of belt I think I can just use a bevel stamp on edge of wingtipping...is there a way to stamp entire middle section lower from wingtip edge and to do to making the entire middle section smooth??

I think you would be better off using a thin piece and punching your hole pattern and then stitching or gluing it to the belt like on a real wingtip shoe.

Trying to beat down the whole interior of the belt so the wingtip looks higher probably wont work.

I've actually been thinking along these lines, not for shoes but for overlays on belts, cases, etc. I too would like to know what sort of hole punch is used for making all those tiny holes. My punches aren't that precise as they have beveled sharp edges. Maybe the only way is with a clicker?

Michelle

I've been playing with brouging ideas like this (brogue is what that technique is called in shoe-making, I'm told). Marking the pattern is the tricky bit. I intend to print a pattern, then trace pretty much like you would do for tooling.

Alternately, I may try this gizmo: https://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/tools/punches/8054-00.aspx as you can set the basic pattern any way you like, and then fill gaps with a larger diameter punch.

9-in-1-round-punch-8054-00.jpg