usmc0341

What Leather Are You Buying?

I know this has been discussed before, but when I try to search I can't find what I'm looking for I guess because my search terms are so generic and it gives me hundreds of results. I have been buying Herman Oak B grade from Springfield Leather up until this point, but this last piece I got had a lot of waste and I wasn't very impressed with it. So my question is to the craftsman making holsters for a business on here, where are you buying your leather and what do you get? I looked at Wickett & Craig but I'm not sure what to get since they have a whole bunch of different leather listed. Thanks for your help.

Brian

when I am making loop or paddle holsters I use 8-9 oz veg tan

when I make pancake holsters I use 6-7 oz veg tan

when I make a lined loop or paddle type holster I use 6-7 oz veg tan and line it with

2-3 oz veg tan

I usually buy from Springfield and I use HO as well but when I buy leather I always call in my order and specify to the operator that I want a select piece.

I usually buy a whole side at a time, that way I can pull off several gun belts and there is always less waste with a side than with a single or double shoulder

I have recently started buying leather locally from American Saddlery here in Chattanooga they sell Sho Tan leather which is really nice leather

I never used Wickett and Craig leather so I cannot comment on its quality but I have heard it is a very premium leather.I think that Weaver sells W&C

Edited by St8LineGunsmith

Yeah, I gave up on SLC. Tthey replaced a hide with wrinklesThey replaced one that was the wrong cut (when you order backs, it shouldn't have a belly). They replaced hides that were clean from scars, but dry (you could actually HEAR the shears going through it). They replaced every time, but at some point you gotta ask how much time you want to spend on the phone.

If you like HO leather, you might try this ...

http://www.goligerleather.com/saddlery.html

Personally, I like backs, but sides are available too.

Call Matt at Wickett and Craig. tell him what you are wanting and he'll steer you in the right direction. I use their #1 grade holster siding in 7/8 oz for the front and 8/9 for the back. couldn't be happier with the quality every single time

Tony

Wickett & Craig...skirting/tooling leather...8/10 oz. #1 grade...you can't go wrong. Their great people to work with. They will even allow you to go to their tannery and pick out what you want.

I buy directly from Zack White in Ramseur, NC. I lack knowledge regarding the quality of leather since I have never bought elsewhere.

No matter what you buy you will have waste as every one of us know. But are you talking about places in the leather that is not acceptable? I am fortunate to live within 30 minutes of a supply of leather. I know that the double shoulders that I buy are tanned in Mexico.

Between the drum dyed and the natural leather, my price is around $7.00/sq. ft. What are you folks paying for the Premium stuff without the shipping expense?

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to give Wickett & Craig a try. I assume anyone that uses them buys the "tooling" leather that they specify is for holsters?

I get the W & C tooling leather or the skirting leather for my holsters...from the side I use the back and shoulder for holster and the belly for small projects like key chains. Make sure you get their #1 grade, I purchased the next grade down and it had several imperfections.

I get the W & C tooling leather or the skirting leather for my holsters...from the side I use the back and shoulder for holster and the belly for small projects like key chains. Make sure you get their #1 grade, I purchased the next grade down and it had several imperfections.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to give them a call.

You can also just order a back from W&C. It costs a little more per sq foot, but less cost overall...That is if you don't really want or need the belly.

I use their russet skirting leather for holsters and mag pouches. I just got a new piece in last week actually. Last time I had them split an 8-10 oz. back to be even at 8 oz. This time I had them split a piece of 10-12 down to an even 8 oz. That was to make sure the entire piece has a smooth flesh side and can be used for a rough out if need be. Also, you'll want to have them "holster" it. That's where they press the leather between rollers to firm up the temper. There's no extra charge for holstering. As Jackd942 said, get it as a back. It's more per sq. foot, but less overall. Figure an average side at 25 feet has about 5 feet of belly, so you're getting 20 feet of usable. With a back you're getting just the 20 feet, and shipping 20% less weight to boot. If you want the belly for pattern making, they'll sell you a belly for 12 bucks. That way, you're only paying around $2.40 per foot for the belly, instead of full price, AND they've done the work of removing the belly for you. Of course the belly will be a "Tannery Run" so luck of the draw on quality, but for the price difference, who cares. Also, W&C calls their #1 grade "Standard," #2 is "Utility," and #3 is "Special."

Paul

I use their russet skirting leather for holsters and mag pouches. I just got a new piece in last week actually. Last time I had them split an 8-10 oz. back to be even at 8 oz. This time I had them split a piece of 10-12 down to an even 8 oz. That was to make sure the entire piece has a smooth flesh side and can be used for a rough out if need be. Also, you'll want to have them "holster" it. That's where they press the leather between rollers to firm up the temper. There's no extra charge for holstering. As Jackd942 said, get it as a back. It's more per sq. foot, but less overall. Figure an average side at 25 feet has about 5 feet of belly, so you're getting 20 feet of usable. With a back you're getting just the 20 feet, and shipping 20% less weight to boot. If you want the belly for pattern making, they'll sell you a belly for 12 bucks. That way, you're only paying around $2.40 per foot for the belly, instead of full price, AND they've done the work of removing the belly for you. Of course the belly will be a "Tannery Run" so luck of the draw on quality, but for the price difference, who cares. Also, W&C calls their #1 grade "Standard," #2 is "Utility," and #3 is "Special."

Paul

Very helpful! Thanks you very much.

I like Panhandle Leather. I've never had anything bad from there. They have HO for $160 a side. Wicket and Craig is tough to cut with a swivel knife.

Glad I could help. I should mention that the 8-10 split to 8 oz. was nice, I'd say about half would have been usable for a rough out as is. But getting it split from 10-12 oz. was less than $4 extra. It took exactly two weeks from the time of ordering until it arrived at my door in AZ. Shipping was steep for me ($43), but seeing you're in PA, it should be quite a bit less.

Paul

Thanks for all of the replies. I ordered Wickett & Craig 8/10 ounce back in chestnut and it is hands down the nicest leather I have ever worked with.

Will they sell "basks" of saddle skirting? Glenn told me that they would not.

Will they sell "basks" of saddle skirting? Glenn told me that they would not.

I'm not sure, I would give them a call.

Shooter, if that was supposed to say back then yes they will.. If you did mean to say bask I'm learning a new term.

haha yes backs.I asked my salesman about a year ago and he said it wasnt an option.

Linda didn't ask twice about it, I'd have some choice words for whoever you deal with. It doesn't just save on leather cost but shipping too!

I've never even bought a side of skirting from them, only backs of it. It's even on their website in the pricing section. Backs are $1.10 per foot extra. I wonder why he told you they don't sell backs. Strange.

Paul

I have had great leather sent from Roger at RJF leather. The double shoulders (7/8oz) #1's are almost 100% usage. I stay about 1 inch from the edge just so there is no "fall off" in thickness or stretch.

Tight grain, front and back (no fuzzies inside the holster)

With shipping to AZ from NY it is still under $7.00ft. And he is great to deal with.

+1 for RJF, natural double shoulders 8/9 great flesh side, I get them natural, no gum. Cut easily, mold very well and dry good and stiff. $17 for shipping on one that csme to WI last week.