Tina

Some New Carvings, Leather Viking Helmet And Horns...

I got inspired by Toms helmets (not that mine is nearly as good) and I made this viking cerimonial helmet just for fun.

All pieces that looks like bone is actually cernit clay that i have made. Inside the helmet I made it possible to change the size somewhat.

The other picture is from my new hobby, carving cow hornes (and bones in the future) It's great fun except you have to be outdoors (it stinks burned hair)

post-5624-042834900 1317385589_thumb.jpg

post-5624-059205400 1317385617_thumb.jpg

Very cool, neat design on the helmet.

Looks great Tina looks like alot of different talents went into those things.

What does your other half use to carve the horns with? That looks like something that would be fun to do occasionaly.

Amazing and inspiring as always! :spoton: I am always blown away with the detail you put into everything you do!

Crystal

Thanks a Million all for looking and commeting on my work :-)

Madmax...I simply LOVE my Dremel for the horns *LOL*

Awesome!!!You_Rock_Emoticon.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

Beautifully done, as usual! :spoton: I agree, on both the Dremel and outside, for the horn carving. Pheeew! :blink: ( I make powder horns for black powder shooters, on occasion.)

Any idea where I can get a generic pattern for the helm? Not sure about sizing and cuting the panels.

Thanks a load everyone :-)

TN leather:

I made my own pattern, trial and error as I went...I have never seen any patterns at all for these viking helmets, do they even excist???

Rhide:

Cool, it seams that leather and horns is walking hand by hand (I know of several leatherworkers that carves horns/bones too). You have to post up photos somewhere :-)

Awesome work, Tina !

( I´m glad that you didn´t put horns on the viking helmets ! ) :thumbsup:

/ Knut

Awesome work, Tina !

( I´m glad that you didn´t put horns on the viking helmets ! ) :thumbsup:

/ Knut

Horns on a viking helmet??? Naw, would I ever do that??? Actually I have thought about it just for cooool factor *LOL*

Are those drinking horns? If so, do you seal the inside at all?

Nice work.

Are those drinking horns? If so, do you seal the inside at all?

Nice work.

I plan to seal them...I'm looking high and low for a good material to use that I can find here in Sweden. I would love to find a foodsafe resin-type of sorts so that hot liquid can be used in them.

Tina, I don´t think you need to seal horns to use them to drink from . If I needed to seal them I´d use some kind of epoxy resin, but I don´t think it is needed.

They will do in natural shape bot for beer and mjöd! Cheers!

/ Knut

Tina, I don´t think you need to seal horns to use them to drink from . If I needed to seal them I´d use some kind of epoxy resin, but I don´t think it is needed.

They will do in natural shape bot for beer and mjöd! Cheers!

/ Knut

Hi Knut,

I talked to some reanacment people at a viking/medieval fair and you have to seal them if you don't like the "cow flawor" to your drink :-)

Horns on a viking helmet??? Naw, would I ever do that??? Actually I have thought about it just for cooool factor *LOL*

Horned viking helmets have only been found on the American continent ( and on Swedish ice hockey fans) :rolleyes:

/ Knut

Horned viking helmets have only been found on the American continent ( and on Swedish ice hockey fans) :rolleyes:

/ Knut

:thumbsup: *Skrattar högt*

Beautiful work on the helmet! I love it.

Beautiful work on the helmet! I love it.

Thanks a Million Tom, coming from the Master of helmet making and my source for inspiration...I feel humbled :-)

Great looking horns and helmets! I don't think the horns need sealing, Ive seen many used as they are. Did you wet form the helmet pieces?

Great looking horns and helmets! I don't think the horns need sealing, Ive seen many used as they are. Did you wet form the helmet pieces?

Thank you Odin, for nice comment and the tips about the horns :-)

No wet forming on the helmet, it worked anyway, I guess due to all pieces they formed by themselfs when braided together(?)

Thanks for that. I think they are fabulous.

Wow, looks great! I really like the cernit clay figures.

/Tommy

Thank you Tommy, the figures was great fun to make too :-) next time I'm going to try making some in real bone, I hope I come up with a design with not to manny of them *LOL*