The Grizzly

Making Sheathes For A Knifemake & He Wants To Use His Own Finish...spray Silicone, Got ?s.

I was contacted by a knife maker on another forum who wanted me to make sheath for one of his knives. I think he was looking to find someone who did better work than his previous supplier. He showed me the design he uses and I made it to his specifications of tooling and dye color.

Now my real question falls around this: He says that he puts on his own finish after wet forming the sheath, and that the finish he uses is spray silicone. I am not familiar with spray silicone for leatherwork (as I am still new to this), nor how well it holds up. I've been using a beeswax/paraffin/neat's foot oil mix on my sheathes that gives both a nice hardened feel as well as water repellent.

Should I trust my name and my work to a simple spray silicone finish? Or should I kindly suggest to him a better overall finish (ie: my wax finish)? I just don't want my sheath having issues down the road and it coming back on me because the final finishing was left to someone who does not to leatherwork.

Silicone spray on leather? I think he's short changing himself. Sure it will soak in and provide some waterproofing, but it won't do more than that. Personally I'd stick with the neatsfoot oil and wax as it will condition the leather, waterproof it and harden it up to be more scratch resistant. Can't see silicone doing any of that.

Griz, I do all my own sheaths as well as for collectors and other knifemakers.Iwill do custom designs and allow them choices of carry, color and just about any other thing, but your name is on that sheath and I would not allow him to change the way you do things.Believe me I have been in the knife field for over 20 years, there aren't many pro sheathmakers that would allow that either, if any. Steve, most sheathmakers mark thier sheaths so people will know.I have heard of knifemakers not wanting sheathmakers logo's put on but , there again I will them them ,no logo ,no sale.Dave

Edited by DCKNIVES

DC, I just completed the first sheath for him mainly as a tester run to see if he likes my work and would want me to do more. It's a small sheath and there's not a lot of room on the back to put my bear mark, so I left it off. I may put my GCK initials on the back that way it is marked as one of my pieces.

I think I will ask him if he would mind me using my finishing process on this test sheath, that way he can see what my finish is like in comparison to one of the others by the other maker.

Hi Craig,

Just like what Dave said, I wouldn't do it. I'm sure the knifemaker just wants the silicone, because he thinks it will help protect the knife as well. The only problem is, that silicone, while it does make the leather somewhat water resistant,,, for a while, in the long run, it's just not a good leather preservative. Besides, if your name is on the sheath,,, how can you stand behind it, using something of his, in the making.

Just some thought,,, Ed the"BearMan" Yes, I used to train & control Bears for a living,,, so watch out!! hehehe

Thanks Ed. I just emailed the maker and explained to him that the consensus is that silicone as a leather finish isn't nearly as good as the wax mixture or other finishing processes. I asked him if he would mind if I sent this 'test' sheath with my wax finish to see how it compares to the silicone...I think he will like it MUCH better. I told him that if he doesn't like it, and would prefer the silicone, that I could not guarantee how well the sheathes will hold up and therefore I will not put my name on them.

So how did this work out?

He responded and said that was fine as long as he could still wet form it. Well, that's not really possible for a hot wax so I told him that I would be more than happy to wet form the sheath before waxing. I never received a reply so I went ahead and did it. I was down and really sick this past week so I didn't get to wax and finish it then, but felt better today so I did. Sheath looks great, feels very nice and firm, and is now extremely water proof. I think he will be quite happy. Didn't realize how dark the wax will make Light Brown Fiebing's Pro Oil, I may have to dilute my next try to a lighter shade. It still looks very nice, like a rich dark chocolate brown, but it's almost too dark. Going to ship it and the knife back tomorrow and see what he thinks.

He responded and said that was fine as long as he could still wet form it. Well, that's not really possible for a hot wax so I told him that I would be more than happy to wet form the sheath before waxing. I never received a reply so I went ahead and did it. I was down and really sick this past week so I didn't get to wax and finish it then, but felt better today so I did. Sheath looks great, feels very nice and firm, and is now extremely water proof. I think he will be quite happy. Didn't realize how dark the wax will make Light Brown Fiebing's Pro Oil, I may have to dilute my next try to a lighter shade. It still looks very nice, like a rich dark chocolate brown, but it's almost too dark. Going to ship it and the knife back tomorrow and see what he thinks.

Any pictures of the sheath?

Sure, here's a few. Sorry for the bad pics, this camera is very tempermental and likes to do odd things to pics.

DSCN4186.jpg

DSCN4187.jpg

DSCN4188.jpg

Fine looking sheath. If I can offer an observation...it would look better without the rivet.

I thought so too Mike, but it's what he wanted *shrug* Got to please the customer! :)

Great looking sheath. IMHO doing things for the customer should never come at the cost of workmanship. You obviously work very hard on your sheaths and turning over a basicaly unfinished product doesnt make much sense to me. Its impossible to guarantee your work if you dont control all aspects. just my two cents.