Hi,

I had my steering wheel re-wrapped in leather, but it's leather is black, and the rest of the interior leather is dark gray - how do I make my steering wheel leather lighter (Dark Gray instead of Black)?

I was wondering, if I would expose the steering wheel to direct sunlight for several weeks, would it fade slightly?

I don't think you'll have much luck with this problem. The best solution, you know already. Go buy the right color.

That being said, I'll offer some suggestions. Always test first on a part that doesn't show. First, with a deglazer, go over the whole thing, that will get the sealer finish down/off. Then wash with oxalic acid. It might, and I stress, might, cut/bleach the color down a shade. Repeat, if it's had any effect, until it comes closer to the color you want. Then apply a new sealer coat, like Bag Kote, Tan Kote, Pecards, Snow proof.

Good luck, and maybe some others might have a trick, I'm not aware of. That's why I like this place.

Thanks for suggestions ;)

However, I'm afraid I might not be able to get the chemicals you've listed :( Is there anything I could replace the Oxalic Acid with? 99% Alcohol? Acetone? Paint Thinner? White Spirit?

I've also heard you can expose the leather 24/7 to the UV light, this would fade the color slightly, would this work?

You should be able to get the oxalic at your local big box lumber store. They use it to bleach wood. Don't get any on the rest of your car seats/rugs.... Don't know if those other chemicals will do for you. The sealers you can get from Tandy, and all the others.

By the time the sun bleaches down the color, you'll be buying a new car....

All in all, go buy the right color...

Slight problem - I'm in Lithuania, Europe :) It might be hard to get those specific products... :)

I'll try to buy 3 or 4 UV bulbs and leave it on in front of the leather 24/7 for a week or two.

I remember some time ago I bought a pair of shoes, and when I got back home I noticed the difference in colors (apparently one shoe spent quite some time on shops window), so I was leaving the darker shoe in the sunlight every day for about a week and now they match perfectly.

Not sure if this trick will work this time, but I'll try...