Sign in to follow this  
whinewine

Weaver Leather Company's Master Series of tools

I'm curious about the quality of Weaver Leather Company's Master Series of tools, especially of their round knife. How does the quality of that knife compare to, say, a Danny Marlin knife (or, at the other extreme, an Osborne knife{a new one}, or, at the very worst, one of the Pakistani made knives offered on ebay)? If I spend money on a round knife, I want to get decent one, NOT a piece of junk that'll look good in a hand made sheath but never gets used because it's impossible to keep sharpened.

Their tools look so nice in the catalog, and there are currently a number of punches being offered on ebay.

Edited by whinewine

Hi,

I have Weaver's master series of Bag Punches and Belt tip punches (not all of them, I have 3 or so of each). Also their Oval Strap Punches. These are all very good tools not better than the few gomph and early CSO punches I have but very good nonetheless. I would recommend them. The problem with buying older tools (especially cutting tools) is the monkey who had them before you. It is easy to overheat the steel with a grinder and hard to see if that has happened when it is on a table for sale. The ONLY one I trust for old tools is Douglas. CSO tools are very good however must be sharpened out of the box, just a fact of life, if you are going to own and use a tool, you should learn to sharpen it. Head knives are a special case and the philosophy of the maker has to fit your using personality. This is important in the way the blade tapers to the edge. Cook knives are thick and have a pretty serious taper as they approach the edge. Buchman knives are thin and don't have this serious taper. CSO are in between somewhere. Marlins look to be on the thinner side but I haven't used one a lot, I just like the Buchman (I have 4 or 5) and use them not exclusively but a lot. But keep in mind that a thin knife can be broken, just keep it in mind and you won't do it. I used the CSO knifes for years and have even ruined the temper on one with a grinder, but I called CSO and found out the steel was 1065 which I can heat treat myself and I did. This is a way big plus if you are buying older tools as the new ones have exotic steels which again I can heat treat but you have to find out exactly what it is before you can do that and THAT is the problem. The one Danny Marlin tool I didn't like was the grooving tool which cut a swath big enough for 1/8 inch rope it seemed, maybe I exaggerate but it was a big groove for stitches. Marlin tools are decent quality though.

With knives, it is more what YOU like than what anyone else likes.

Art

I'm curious about the quality of Weaver Leather Company's Master Series of tools, especially of their round knife. How does the quality of that knife compare to, say, a Danny Marlin knife (or, at the other extreme, an Osborne knife{a new one}, or, at the very worst, one of the Pakistani made knives offered on ebay)? If I spend money on a round knife, I want to get decent one, NOT a piece of junk that'll look good in a hand made sheath but never gets used because it's impossible to keep sharpened.

Their tools look so nice in the catalog, and there are currently a number of punches being offered on ebay.

I haven't had good luck with the punches from Weaver we have had a lot of problems with edges rolling over on them under heavy use. I have one of the thier round knives but my Buckmans are my favorite. I have about five of the Marlins but as we sharpened them the blade thickness became a real issue and I had to spend too much time thinning the blades down. Verlane told me about the Buckmans and I have been very glad of that!

I did have another round knife that I really liked that I baought rom Ellis Barnes when I worked for him but I don't know if he is making them. His friend Red made the knives and I think he died. The handle on that knife was really great for skiving.

David Genadek

I have the full set of bag punches also and have had the same problem as David with the edges rolling over.

Ashley

Weaver's round knife is my personal favorite. It's the one I reach for and keep close. I've been using it for a little over a year and I have no complaints.

As for the punches, I've got three or four, but I don't use them near as much as David. I can't provide much review beyond saying they "look good."

I'll be watching for the edges to roll--if they do, Weaver's getting them back.

I was just reading about people having problems with the edge of punches rolling over. I was then wondering what type of surface is being used to punch into. I only punch into a lead block and this seems to protect even the el cheapo punches. When the lead has been used to death I panel beat it smooth again with a ball pein hammer or every know and then re melt it. I just make sure I wash my hands before eating but I'd do that anyway.

Barra

I am using my clicker pad, I am not sure what the tech name for it is. I have just had problems with the bag punches. I dont have any problems with the round point or the english point end punches.

Ashley