barbiesdude

Cutting Rawhide String

Hello, time to come out from the shadows and ask some questions.

When I am cutting my strands I am having some trouble with the edge wanting to ride up on the finger of my Hansen string cutter making wide spots in my string.

Is my temper wrong? To soft to hard? Will this go away as my technique gets better?

Any tips would be appreciated, especially from Allen, Rob,or Kevin.

Well I guess I'll keep my opinion to myself then!

Mike

Hello, time to come out from the shadows and ask some questions.

When I am cutting my strands I am having some trouble with the edge wanting to ride up on the finger of my Hansen string cutter making wide spots in my string.

Is my temper wrong? To soft to hard? Will this go away as my technique gets better?

Any tips would be appreciated, especially from Allen, Rob,or Kevin.

Me, too!!

uhm....well if i was you i would not restrict myself to only wanting responses from certain people like that...there are many fine braiders on here and i think you just offended a couple of them...both of them could have easily answered your question, the guys you are looking to have answer your question visit here rarely these days.....good luck getting an answer.

Whoa!!! Are you kidding me? When I said "ANY" tips would be appreciated, I meant from "ANY" body! But I do have alot of respect for the people's work I mentioned and value their advice. That doesn't mean nobody else doesn't have anything to contribute or doesn't have good work. I did not mean to "offend" anyone, damage their ego, or hurt anybodies little feelings. If people are that sensitive around here, I'll keep my questions to myself and go back to " lurking". I made the mistake of thinking this forum was where people helped each other become better at their craft, not tell people how to "phrase" their own post.

uhm....well if i was you i would not restrict myself to only wanting responses from certain people like that...there are many fine braiders on here and i think you just offended a couple of them...both of them could have easily answered your question, the guys you are looking to have answer your question visit here rarely these days.....good luck getting an answer.

dont go back to lurking....your post just read rather bad. it seemed like you only wanted advice from those 3 guys....when i read it i thought that and obviously the others did as well. go ahead and ask your questions just be aware that there are several other rawhide braiders on here that are willing and able to answer your questions. shelly is a top braider and rawhide1 is very good as well....also be aware that who will be online to answer questions will vary depending on peoples jobs etc.

The guy asked legit questions and asked for help from anyone and showed deference and respect to three people whose brains he obviously wanted to pick. You guys effectively shot that down. Wow.. Just wow. It's all I can say. You're serious not going to allow him to have his own favorite posters?

It appears leather panties get twisted much worse than the cotton ones.

Wow, you guys are REALLY sensitive if you're all being serious here. If I didn't know better I'd assume you three were trolling for a flame war on a new guy out of spite for not naming you in his post. Seriously, that's not a joke. That's what it looks like. If I were a mod I would delete your guys' posts for purposely dragging the guys thread off topic.

I actually had a few other names in my head that I was hoping would respond, ( dare I name them at the risk of offending more? ) But didn't feel it neccesary to write them down for times sake. I could have my questions answered with a phone call, but I have really enjoyed this forum and " ALL!!!!!!!!!" of it's contributors, so I thought I would try to "join in". I wasn't aware that even inside the forum there was a " members only special club" where if you didn't do the right things or word everything just so so, you were on the outs. On second thought, I won't go back to " lurking" because I KNOW that there are alot of other people just like me on here that stay in the shadows and don't ask questions because they don't want to be emabarassed and slapped down like I was. As I get better maybe I can be of help to someone like I am sure everyone else on this forum has had some help to get where they are.

Jamie

dont go back to lurking....your post just read rather bad. it seemed like you only wanted advice from those 3 guys....when i read it i thought that and obviously the others did as well. go ahead and ask your questions just be aware that there are several other rawhide braiders on here that are willing and able to answer your questions. shelly is a top braider and rawhide1 is very good as well....also be aware that who will be online to answer questions will vary depending on peoples jobs etc.

Holiday weekend, they might be out of town? I'd help, but what I know about braiding rawhide you could stuff in a gnat's ear and still have room.

Thanks Hellfire,

Good to know I'm not all by myself here.

The guy asked legit questions and asked for help from anyone and showed deference and respect to three people whose brains he obviously wanted to pick. You guys effectively shot that down. Wow.. Just wow. It's all I can say. You're serious not going to allow him to have his own favorite posters?

Wow, you guys are REALLY sensitive if you're all being serious here. If I didn't know better I'd assume you three were trolling for a flame war on a new guy out of spite for not naming you in his post. Seriously, that's not a joke. That's what it looks like. If I were a mod I would delete your guys' posts for purposely dragging the guys thread off topic.

Thanks Hellfire,

Good to know I'm not all by myself here.

I'll give it a shot. I would bet your hide is to wet. It should have about the same consistancy as firm latigo leather. Also make sure ya don't scrimp on

fresh razor blades for a good clean edge. Can also email or pm and I'll tell what I know even if it's not much. Bret.:dunno:

Thanks for the response WinterBear, It's the thought that counts.

Jamie

Holiday weekend, they might be out of town? I'd help, but what I know about braiding rawhide you could stuff in a gnat's ear and still have room.

Your probably right Bret. I tried some more stuff after my first post. Moving my razor blade up or down for a fresh spot, and that helped some. When I had the temper more firm it seemed like it was cutting hard, but when I wet it and stuck it back in the humidor for a little while it would seem "mushy" when i took it back out to cut? It's like Goldie Locks, there seems to be this magic temper where it is " just right ". Thanks a bunch for your input. Anything else you may think of will be greatly appreciated as well.

Jamie

I'll give it a shot. I would bet your hide is to wet. It should have about the same consistancy as firm latigo leather. Also make sure ya don't scrimp on

fresh razor blades for a good clean edge. Can also email or pm and I'll tell what I know even if it's not much. Bret.:dunno:

No special little clicks on here, but I think the ones who declined to respond because they weren't on your list thought you were making a click. I don't know.

As for your problem, I frequently have the opposite problem and move away from that guide and get a thin spot. Biggest cure I think is practice practice practice. Are you having this problem is it cutting from disk or from rough cut string? I have more trouble with cutting the disk. Temper plays big part too and too wet I think would cause what you describe before too dry.

Hellfire jack

It seems you like to start trouble as I've seen you being a ass in another post. You think my panties are in a wad then you can go pound sand!!!!!!!! When somebody asks for help and then specifies he wants answers from certain people. You can bet I wont add my two cents. I have always helped in anyway I can and will continue to do so for those that want it. It seems you and the OP want to keep beating a dead horse. If that's the case then by all means go back to lurking.

Mike Southern

barbie

Why do you keep after it. As far as I know nobody has ever been shot down or been made to feel embarrassed for asking a question. Instead of just saying hey I didn't mean it that way. You have to start talking trash about special clubs and other nonsense. If somebody stays in the shadows then that's on them. As far as I'm concerned if your gonna stir up trouble then by all means go back to lurking.

Mike Southern

I actually had a few other names in my head that I was hoping would respond, ( dare I name them at the risk of offending more? ) But didn't feel it neccesary to write them down for times sake. I could have my questions answered with a phone call, but I have really enjoyed this forum and " ALL!!!!!!!!!" of it's contributors, so I thought I would try to "join in". I wasn't aware that even inside the forum there was a " members only special club" where if you didn't do the right things or word everything just so so, you were on the outs. On second thought, I won't go back to " lurking" because I KNOW that there are alot of other people just like me on here that stay in the shadows and don't ask questions because they don't want to be emabarassed and slapped down like I was. As I get better maybe I can be of help to someone like I am sure everyone else on this forum has had some help to get where they are.

Jamie

You can feel however you want about me rawhide1. I have no problem with it.

I've never actually discussed anything with you so you can make any judgements you want about me. Feel free, I welcome it. If there's any other opinion you'd like to give by all means share it. To have an opinion on something and to share it doesn't make one a trouble maker. If it did you'd be the trouble maker right now. It just means we have opinions and we can give them.

The poster is getting his questions answered now at least. That's moving forward. There's no dead horse here. Just people with questions and some good people helping out.

Hellfire Jack

I don't feel one way or the other about you. It's funny I don't recall seeing you post in the braiding section before. So your first post I see isn't to help or ask a question but to make wise cracks and talk trash. I was done with this topic until you and barbie wanted to keep the negative talk going. I'm glad he's getting the help he was after by the good people.

Mike

Rawhide1, if I had more experience in braiding and cutting lace I'd have answered him myself rest assured. You want me to post more in the braiding section? What the heck, I don't do a lot of braiding but I guess I can do more just for you. I don't want to have the same problem as the OP though so perhaps you can answer so I can do more braiding and ask more questions?

The "negative talk" you refer to happened 3 hours before you even posted by the way. So you were apparently done with this discussion before you even started. :)

hellfire jack

I don't have time to play this game with you. As I've said before and someone please correct me if I'm wrong. But I've always done my best to help anyone that needed it. So sir I'm done with you.

Mike

Rawhide1, if I had more experience in braiding and cutting lace I'd have answered him myself rest assured. You want me to post more in the braiding section? What the heck, I don't do a lot of braiding but I guess I can do more just for you. I don't want to have the same problem as the OP though so perhaps you can answer so I can do more braiding and ask more questions?

The "negative talk" you refer to happened 3 hours before you even posted by the way. So you were apparently done with this discussion before you even started. :)

Again with the telling me how to phrase my own post stuff. I started this post to get a question answered and some people decided I didn't word it just right, then felt the need to respond. THAT is when the "stirring up trouble" started. I have clearly stated I meant "ANY" tips, but I was hoping to persuade the three I did mention to be sure and add their thoughts. How does that infer nobody else is any good or can't help? So it seems you are the one "keeping after it". I thought we had moved on to some good rawhideing conversation. If you thought I only wanted the help from the people I mentioned then why did you post in the first place with "I'll just keep my opinions to myself". That is what I consider trying to embarass someone. I'll pull one of your number's and tell you how to word your own post, Here's what you should have said "I'm not the other guys but here is my two cents..............." So if you have the brass to fire off a post like ya' did, I certainly have the brass ( and right ) to fire back and defend myself. I'm not going to cow down to you and say "oh' my goodness, I am so sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone, I beg your forgiveness. " I didn't do anything wrong. I asked a QUESTION. Can we please move on to getting some more answers and input?

Jamie

barbie

Why do you keep after it. As far as I know nobody has ever been shot down or been made to feel embarrassed for asking a question. Instead of just saying hey I didn't mean it that way. You have to start talking trash about special clubs and other nonsense. If somebody stays in the shadows then that's on them. As far as I'm concerned if your gonna stir up trouble then by all means go back to lurking.

Mike Southern

Jamie

Instead of carrying this any farther as it does no good. I'm just going to wish ya the best of luck with your braiding. And leave it at that.

Mike

C'mon, folks! It's a holiday weekend in the US and not everyone is at their keyboard. I'm not, and I'm closing this thread. Jaime, please post your question again, and we'll take a deep breath and start over.

Johanna

Admin