Well I have been asking in several forums and sites. What glue is best for filigree and stone setting with leather? For which, I received no great or consistent answer.

So I took the glues mentioned most often (except Master's Contact only because I didn't have it and no local supplier as well) Super Glue Future Gel, E6000, Barge & Leathercraft.

The first test was glue two 11mm Paula Shell stones with each glue to 5oz vegtan. Then allow 24 hours of dry time.

I then determined a series of tests: flex, fold, roll & impact.

-Flex was simple twisting of the leather end to end.

-Fold was folding the leather both vertical and horizontal along the entire piece of leather.

-Roll was rolling the leather end to end, both vertically and horizontally.

impact was literally slapping the leather against my work table both stones down and stones up.

All of these were repeated many times.

The Results:

Super Glue Future Gel - was applied to stone back then pressed into leather. Failed the very first test which was the flex test. They popped off like little rockets.

E6000 - was applied to stone back. Then pressed to leather. This glue worked well. Had a little stone lifting, but they felt secure and couldn't be easily pulled off with fingers. Fume exposure can cause kidney damage

Barge - was applied to both leather and stone backing. Allowed to dry for 10 mins and then applied to each other. Barge did great was some minor edge lifting to stones. Stones felt secure and could not be easily pulled off leather with fingers.

Leather craft - was applied to stone back and pressed into leather. There was significant edge lifting to stones. They still felt secure and could not be easily pulled from leather with fingers.

Personally I would pick Barge or E6000. Both did equally well with slight stone edge seperation, but secure hold.

Sorry for any grammar sentence weirdness. I added this from my phone.

Mike

If you want to revisit your testing try Fast-fix. Its a superglue that is as strong as it gets. I use it on repair jobs where no other glue will stick. There's also an activator spray that sets it up instantly. Its fairly expensive at around 15.00 for a 2oz bottle(not really that bad considering it only takes a drop). You can find it at most shoe repair suppliers and online I'm sure.

Thanks for the awesome test! I have used E6000 for a lot of things but not for fillagrees.

Thanks for taking the time to share your results! ~