CourtneyLynn

Can A Western Saddle Seat Be Replaced?

So I got my new saddle and I'm absolutely in love with it. It's perfect. A friend of mine sat in it and the first words out of her mouth were, "oooh... this, this material on the seat is NICE. I feel like there'd be no way for me to fall out."

I have a rough out saddle.

So now she's wondering - is it possible to remove the old seat/fenders of a saddle and replace it with rough out? Is the cost very prohibitive? She has an old relic of a saddle that fits both her and her horse wonderfully and doesn't really want to buy a new one... but immediately loved the feeling and security of the rough out. She rode my goofball of a mare and sat tight through a bunch of random maneuvers that can best be described as airs above the ground.

Is this something that might be worthwhile for her to look into, or is it just better for her to look for a rough out saddle and skip the entire process of replacing the seat on hers?

Thank you!

In short, yes the seat can be replaced. As can the fenders. And the other parts of a saddle.

But it will take money.

Most saddle builders can do it for you. It won't be cheap though.

Yes it can be done, but the cost will probably be more than the saddle is worth. Replace the seat $500.00 to $700.00. Replace fenders $240.00 to $300.00. So could spend $740.00 to $1,000.00 and have a saddle worth $400.00. Best to look for a new saddle.