RMB Custom Leather

URGENT NEWS U.S. Customs Proposal

THIS COULD ALSO HURT THE LEATHER INDUSTRY !!!!

URGENT NEWS

U.S. Customs Proposal would characterize assisted-openers as switchblade knives and potetially jeopardize all pocket knives.

On behalf of the entire sporting knife industry and all knife owners across the country, AKTI filed request for an extension to U.S. Customs to their June

21st deadline to respond. We have hired a specialized U.S. Customs and Trade law firm to draft a response in defense of our knives. But your help is needed to write letters and spread the word. CONTACT YOUR US REPRESENTATIVE!!!

http://www.akti.org/

http://www.kniferights.org/index.php?optio...81&Itemid=1

I have been hearing about this. Unfortionatly, with the current administration, there is little that can be done. Most of the new rules that are flying through will not recieve congresional oversight, they are just being enacted, quickly and swiftly, because if they do not happen fast, they may not get through. Our rights as citizens are so trivial compared to the rest of what is happening this is a small issue.

I have been hearing about this. Unfortionatly, with the current administration, there is little that can be done. Most of the new rules that are flying through will not recieve congresional oversight, they are just being enacted, quickly and swiftly, because if they do not happen fast, they may not get through. Our rights as citizens are so trivial compared to the rest of what is happening this is a small issue.

You're right. 2010 is just around the corner. Hopefully, we can get this country back on track.

You're right. 2010 is just around the corner. Hopefully, we can get this country back on track.

"It is not a field of a few acres of ground, but a cause, that we are defending, and whether we defeat the enemy in one battle, or by degrees, the consequences will be the same."

Thomas Paine :soapbox:

Thank your for getting the knowledge out.

Just a friendly reminder folks, let's make sure this doesn't turn into a political thread.

We all have our opinions on who's doing what in the US, and what kinds of choices and consequences we'll face. But this site is for Leather.

This site is also multinational in its membership, which is another reason the membership voted to keep politics out of it.

Just a friendly reminder folks, let's make sure this doesn't turn into a political thread.

We all have our opinions on who's doing what in the US, and what kinds of choices and consequences we'll face. But this site is for Leather. This site is also multinational in its membership, which is another reason the membership voted to keep politics out of it.

Amen to that! :cheers:

I'd like to take a moment to say thanks to Rob for posting the links on the 1st post. There's some definitely interesting things going on, but (I actually read the whole document) I don't see this as a threat to everyone's pocket knife. If you're carrying a "tacti-cool" folder, then yes, yours may be delisted. From the document, there were a grand total of 4 knives delisted, based on a revised interpretation of "switchblade", and basically a resolution to disallow knives that have 'assisted opening' mechanisms.

Could this hurt the leather industry? If you're a sheath maker, maybe. I don't think it's really going to effect folks like DCKnives, who are making sheaths for custom hunting knives (and the knives), or folks making gear for LARP, SCA, etc.

Thanks for the enthusiastic support whinewine.

Don't worry, your head knife is safe.

Edited by TwinOaks

I don't mean to sound like I'm being funny, but what in the world is an assisted opening knife?

Kevin

It's a knife that has a spring or cam that actively opens the blade once the blade is moved past a certain point. On one of the ones mentioned in the links, once you open the blade past 30 degrees, it snaps open and locks. There's various types, and perhaps one of our knifemakers could explain it more thoroughly.

We all have our opinions on who's doing what in the US, and what kinds of choices and consequences we'll face. But this site is for Leather.

This site is also multinational in its membership, which is another reason the membership voted to keep politics out of it.

Not to sound contrary BUT this site does allow for "rants"..... It just needs to be properly classified. They need to be in a section called....

All About Us & Off Topic

Here's the blurb for the description of the subforum.

We all have real lives. Share a birthday message, wish holiday greetings, post links of interest for IRL (in real life) stuff. Rant and rave, any subject. Congratulate a soldier, mourn a loss, share a laugh, a comment, some wisdom. We're more than leatherworkers, we're people with jobs, families, hobbies, happy times, sad times. General discussion of any topic, leather related or not.

Forum Led by: Administrators

Regards,

Ben

Thanks Twin Oaks,

I had heard of automatic knives, but not assisted knives.

Kevin

First our assisted knifes

Then our assisted living.

Then my Rings Blue Gun Molds

Oh the horror!

Randy

Edited by Randyc

Thanks Mike for mentioning me.I see this as another nail in the coffin of our Constitution.Directly right now, very little effect will be seen for sheathmakers.Where the effect will be seen is the companies that outsource knives and parts out of country, but American jobs will take another hit.The knives under attack are generally cheaper knives but even custom knifemakers( from the other side of the pond) who count on American buyers will feel it as well.While it may seem not to effect much to everyone, the problem lies in the fact that other agencies or states may use this to effect changes to thier rules or statutes.Then you will start seeing the effect stateside.Sadly, I feel this is just a start.

Yes, assisted opening knives have a cam or lever, but this rule change pretty much covers just about any knife capable of being opened by one hand.Now I don't make A.O. knives per se, but I do make folders which are one handed and are similar to what your forefathers carried.

Friction folder

axisFF3.jpg

I'll finish and suggest you contact your representatives if you feel this is wrong.Dave Cole

In all seriousness guys, our rights are under attack and we need to keep a vigil eye and take an active role in holding our elected officials accountable.

Dave, Great looking knife and sheath.

Randy

Ben,

Yes, we definitely have lives away from leatherwork, and this site does have a topic area for rants.

However, there was a recent poll on this site in which we debated the decision to have a forum for the discussion of politics (among other things)

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?s...\&st=0

I'm all for it, as I find myself more and more a political activist, especially in the area of the Constitution, and overexpansion of governmental influence. I'm the one who suggested the off topic forum, via PM, to Admin. Johanna decided to let the members make the choice.

Lots of posts later, the majority decision is that there are plenty of other sites on the internet in which to engage in political discourse. The general consensus is that political debates here could drive a wedge between friends, and generally cause all kinds of unpleasantness.

So, yes, it needs to be discussed, debated, and acted upon....but not on Leatherworker.net.

I hope I'm not bending and feelings with this. I think the topic is important, and I'm glad to see the posting of the info, as per the original post.

Edited by TwinOaks

Then it needs to be removed from the MAIN forum description so that there isn't any confusion because IT IS STILL OUT ON THE MAIN FORUM. I took my quote directly from the main forum webpage. IT WAS NOT MY STATEMENT. It is the description directly from the forum. No you aren't stepping on my toes. If it's decided then the forum needs some housekeeping to bring it into line before another escalation takes hold.

Regards,

Ben

Ben,

Yes, we definitely have lives away from leatherwork, and this site does have a topic area for rants.

However, there was a recent poll on this site in which we debated the decision to have a forum for the discussion of politics (among other things)

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?s...\&st=0

I'm all for it, as I find myself more and more a political activist, especially in the area of the Constitution, and overexpansion of governmental influence. I'm the one who suggested the off topic forum, via PM, to Admin. Johanna decided to let the members make the choice.

Lots of posts later, the majority decision is that there are plenty of other sites on the internet in which to engage in political discourse. The general consensus is that political debates here could drive a wedge between friends, and generally cause all kinds of unpleasantness.

So, yes, it needs to be discussed, debated, and acted upon....but not on Leatherworker.net.

I hope I'm not bending and feelings with this. I think the topic is important, and I'm glad to see the posting of the info, as per the original post.

I'm moving this to "Leatherwork Conversation". Because it may affect some knife and sheath makers, the subject is certainly relevant, and I trust we can refrain from any name-calling and personal political attacks while we discuss the issues in a constructive way.

Ben, you are right, that's what the Off Topic forum says in the description. Mike, you are right, the members said they didn't want political rants. I just got done driving 700 miles, and I'm tired. I'm not going to moderate this thread, just expect everybody to respect each other from here on out. Like always.

Johanna