Shorts

What would you think if you received this?

If you received this piece of leather in your order, what would be your reaction? Would you be pleased? Would you be dissatisfied? Would you be indifferent? What do you think the cost was? Bear in mind, this is a working piece which you ordered, to be used for pleasing presentation for customer's orders.

Although one can't really tell from a picture, but from what I see, I'd pay about $55 for that hide. If it was for a customer, I'd point out what i thought was imperfections and let the customer decide whether or not to use it. It some cases, the imperfections in the leather show/add a bit of uniqueness and character but on the other hand, if you have a high $$ customer, then either use your judgement or leave it in the hands of the customer...

Just my 2 cents worth ....

Thanks Troy. Yep, sorry about the lighting, I be a terrible photog lol

This leather was intended to be used for holsters.

As long as your holsters are dark enough to cover the flaws, you shouldn't have and trouble ... but, that's a judgement call on your part ..

Most I make are. I think this is probably the last time I make this order. I'm a bit disappointed and halfway angry this is what I was sent and clearly not corresponding with the description that was put forth. This was not the first time for the above result and I've had it.

Well, this is a shoulder. Which I just read recently more and more shoulders are looking this way all the time. It's probably time to get away from shoulders and this supplier. I've been thinking about this the last couple weeks and upgrading a bit more. Maybe this is the sign it is time to do that. Any US suppliers ship USPS Priority??? (I've been thinking of Montana Leather Co. w/Herman Oak)

I'm disappointed. Like the kid opening presents at Christmas to find a pair of black socks instead of that hot new game. The leather is representing me and my name every time it goes out the door to a customer. I'm feeling its time to back it up much more.

Edited by Shorts

Hi Shorts

That is a terrible piece of leather. You will have a lot of waste with that piece. I'd return it if it was shipped to me. There are lots of leather suppliers out there so no need to accept poor quality leather. Last week i received 3 shoulders i had ordered from Siegel of CA and was very pleased with them as well as the price, they were on sale for $2.99 sq. Most often i drive to my local Tandy store and hand pick what i need.

Ladybug

Shorts,

Give some other leather suppliers a try. I use Wickett and Craig....I've always received good leather from them.

Dave

I think I will go ahead and try another supplier. I would like my veg tan to mold up firm as they are for holsters. I also need them to finish well. I'm not needing easy/good tooling properties, just a smooth grain finish that will look rich when dyed and topcoated. I would like the leather to be on the firm side, the ability to take less-than-gentle handling during construction is a real big plus as I'm not graceful with my one hand and working ;) I use a lot of knees and elbow, as odd as that may sound lol