qarawol

My Antique Leather Sewing Machines

Well I have been hand sewing leather for too long and I wanted to get a sewing machine to help speed things up a bit. I started with an old Singer 66-16 but that did not handle thin leather as well as I thought it would. I then tried a few others and the same thing. Then it turned out I liked the old machines so much I started to collect them.

In under 3 months I had 14 antique Singer Sewing machines to my name. With the exception of one of which I don't know the date of manufacture, the youngest one I have was made in 1949 and the oldest way back in 1874. These thing are amazing! How they machined the parts way back then still impresses me.

Well I have narrowed it down to 3 machines that are currently in the loft and being used. The choices are (all Singers and all treadles) 29-4 (1917), 31-15 (1916) and New Family 12 (1874). The 12 is a keeper just for the age and I'll see if it can do the very thin leather stuff. I'm still in the market for a large leather machine like the Cobra's but funds are not quite up to par for a new 'toy' as the wife calls it.

Since we all like pics, here they are ready to sew...

My 1917 Singer 29-4 sporting its new walnut table. I made the tabletop myself. Notice how it wraps around the base a little and it is a bit longer then the standard length. I even made new drawer slides for the original ones were worn out. Sews leather like there's nothing there...

Singer29-4_a.jpg

Singer29-4a_a.jpg

My 1916 Singer 31-15. This has got to be one of the quietest machines ever made IMHO. I can actually sew in the middle of the night and not piss off the Mrs with our bedroom door open and the loft is right next to the master bedroom. I only had to repair one drawer slide on this one...

Singer31-15_a.jpg

And last but not least, my 1874 Singer New Family 12. The oldest of the bunch. Sporting its new walnut tabletop I made. When purchased, it was a head only. What better way to accent a fiddle base then with a fiddle base tabletop? I removed an old top from another treadle so that the 12 can sew again for another 100+ years. It's so small and CUTE!...

Singer_12_a.jpg

Singer_12a_a.jpg

Did you notice the treadle runners. Placing a treadle on carpet makes the foot pedal bottom out on the carpet and causes a bumping/lifting effect = no good! These help lift the entire treadle up a bit so the pedal clears the carpet. Router'd and stained to get it all purdy look'n...

treadle_runners_a.jpg

I have learned a lot from another antiques sewing site from when I first bought my first sewing machine less then 3 months ago. Now all I have to do is to start using these more to get better at them and start creating leather goods. At least I can still sew even when the power goes out and I still have the hand sewing down packed so I'm set.

Njoy Life...

Edited by qarawol

You are a fine wood worker! The tables are beautiful, as are the floor runners.

Restoring old iron gets into your blood. I have an old 1916 Singer 66-1 and a 1953 15-91. Both sew like they are brand new. They are best used for sewing cloth. They don't feed well with leather or Naugahyde. I did buy a "walking foot" even feed attachment for the 15-91 and that allowed it to feed vinyl.

It doesn't take too much work to restore the action and set the timing. These machines are so simple to work on.

Best to you in your new hobby!

When you are ready to sew real leather, don't waste your time trying to force an old Singer to do something it wasn't designed for. Just get the right machine and be done with it.

Nice looking old Singers! Good job!

CD in Oklahoma

thayerrags.com

Thanks for the props fellas!

Woodworking is fun and YES these old iron ones do get fun and addicting to work on. My brother and friends were just talking about this... really? how many things out there are over 100 years old and still works as if just manufactured?

I have not had any problems sewing a layer of leather or 3 on the two larger machines. I don't go too thick and I really don't feel the resistance of the needle piercing through the leather. I almost always use contact cement on all my projects right at the sewing line wherever I can. This prevents the slipping and misalignment of layers and adds that other step that some don't.

One day I'll get that sewing machine that was specifically designed to be used with leather though. Just need to butter up the Mrs to let me buy AND bring in another 'toy'.

OH! I almost forgot to share this (more wood working skills) --- How do I go between treadle to treadle. Is there a chair at each station? NOPE! I converted a basic rolling office chair to my ultra modern sewing chair. Now I can easily adjust the height as needed based on the machine being used to what is comfortable to me and still keep my sewing supplies close at hand as well as roll on over to the next machine. No need to stand up and walk over to the other machines anymore. Lazy I tell you! Pure LAZY! see...

sewing_chair-1.jpg

sewing_chair_a.jpg

sewing_chair_b.jpg

and now stained...

sewing_chair_d.jpg

Just another coat or seven of hand rubbed oil and she's good to go!

It's amazing how a little thought can become a reality when you have the desire to create. (A little knowledge and the right tools helps a lot too though).

Hobbies are fun... aren't they?

Njoy Life...

Edited by qarawol

Just another coat or seven of hand rubbed oil and she's good to go!

It's amazing how a little thought can become a reality when you have the desire to create. (A little knowledge and the right tools helps a lot too though).

Hobbies are fun... aren't they?

Njoy Life...

Having worked in construction and then having my own company plus manufacturing business I have built many of our machines. My wife asks me where I am going when I go out the door. Well founded question.

It is usually to get some items I need to build another "Idea". Yeah! I love hobbies. LOL

ferg

okay,looks like I am not alone in my sickness for old singers.started out trying to find one to sew leather.bought an old treadle 1847i believe.revived it,love it.then along came the singer 15-90.needed alot of tlc.lo0ve it.then someone suggested A singer 201A.gear driven-no belts.This is the stuff,won't sew heavy leather,but sews everything else.my favorite.Then I was on ebay(you know the story)Found An old 32-45 singer carpet binder.very rare,can't find nothing out about it,but got it working,sews good boat anchor.very heavy.then I found an old 111W-155 singer.wouldn't run,no rod connector belt.fixed that.timed the hook,set the clutch.fixed the froze up industrial motor.runs like A banchee.Just need to figure out how to take the slack out of the hook shaft,too loose.this machine was A steal.then I found an old A.G.Mason treadle 1847.the easiest machine I ever sewed on,way too cool.don't make em like these old machines anymore.yep my other half says i have A sickness.It all started out ,I wanted to sew some leather tack items,to sell.I am A leather crafter,carver,horse trainer,custom knifemaker.whew.....I am tired.but I love it.Dana

Nice work. It's always good to see someone else who's been bitten by the old iron bug! I'm hella jealous of your 31-15, they don't show up in that condition often, let alone with an industrial treadle table. I really want one of those industrial treadle stands to put my 45k on. I'll just have to console myself with the fact that my 1877 UFA is the oldest singer patcher I know of smile.gif

...31-15 industrial treadle table. I really want one of those ....to put my 45k on.

... my 1877 UFA is the oldest singer patcher I know of....

I have one of the Singer Industrial "Combination" Treadle stands (either/or foot power or industrial motor) that originally had a 31-15 in it, but now has my wife's 96-40 in it for FM quilting. The 2-piece pitman rod has a connecting nut in it to switch between rods for flywheel or electric power. The top and both wings were not usable, so it has a modern (older style plywood) industrial top on it.

I also have a regular industrial treadle (foot power only) stand that the top and wings were missing or junk. I'm wanting to set it up with multiple tops to run light industrial (31 & 95 series) machines and household machines both on it. Just getting started on that project.

I know of one other Singer industrial stand nearby with good top and wings, and not being used, but I can't get them to give me a price on it. It's the only other one that I've seen in person. They're not easy to find.

Your UFA is the oldest one that I've heard of so far. I have a non-working 1894 model (bent upper shaft) that's the oldest one that I've seen in person. I'd like to find a non-working stand for it, just to have a display unit, but haven't found the barn, shed, basement or scrap pile that it's in yet....

CD in Oklahoma

thayerrags.com

Edited by cdthayer

You are a fine wood worker! The tables are beautiful, as are the floor runners.

Restoring old iron gets into your blood. I have an old 1916 Singer 66-1 and a 1953 15-91. Both sew like they are brand new. They are best used for sewing cloth. They don't feed well with leather or Naugahyde. I did buy a "walking foot" even feed attachment for the 15-91 and that allowed it to feed vinyl.

It doesn't take too much work to restore the action and set the timing. These machines are so simple to work on.

Best to you in your new hobby!

When you are ready to sew real leather, don't waste your time trying to force an old Singer to do something it wasn't designed for. Just get the right machine and be done with it.

I' m bumping to ask: does it seem strange that qarawol is sewing holsters (apparently) on something that our resident sewing machine expert says "don't waste your time trying to force an old Singer"? Think it has to with fact that he glues the layers together?

Asking because there is a model 15 for sale and while I'd like to machine sew, just not able/ready to spend the bucks for newer machine.

Great looking machines,I also got bitten by the old machine collection bug & when we moved into our larger building I had a room set aside for them but had to use it for something else .

So here's a few pics of them.

The smallest one is Singers first model of Industrial machine,the 2nd is called the Standard & the 3rd is a 3-1 Harness machine

post-7185-067648500 1298736169_thumb.jpg

Edited by sewmun

Here's a Singer 98-2 Singer made for sewing tires together for recapping in 1915

Singer 30",11Class used for sewing buggy fenders & dashes

post-7185-006302100 1298736527_thumb.jpg

post-7185-090808500 1298736670_thumb.jpg

Edited by sewmun

Here's a Singer 98-2 Singer made for sewing tires together for recapping in 1915

Singer 30"!!Class used for sewing buggy fenders & dashes

Is the class 30 long arm the one you told me sews up and down the arm?

It's a 17" Singer 11 Class,alittle shorter than the one in the pic.