Josiah

Another Seat And A Lacing Question

Here is another seat. My last one got no comments good or bad, so please let me know what you think and if you would do something different. I also have a question with lacing. I used 1/4 inch kangaroo lace through 1/8 inch holes and it looks great on front, but in the back, the lace is cupping when it comes out and looks like crap. I am wondering if my holes need to enlarged a little or if I am doing something wrong. I tried twisting them straight and it didn't work, Rivet gun slid off when I was popping rivets which explains scratch on back. Dangit.!

post-26365-014923800 1342191879_thumb.jp

post-26365-061584300 1342191926_thumb.jp

post-26365-088502700 1342191974_thumb.jp

post-26365-023831200 1342192037_thumb.jp

post-26365-082127400 1342192182_thumb.jp

Here is another seat. My last one got no comments good or bad, so please let me know what you think and if you would do something different. I also have a question with lacing. I used 1/4 inch kangaroo lace through 1/8 inch holes and it looks great on front, but in the back, the lace is cupping when it comes out and looks like crap. I am wondering if my holes need to enlarged a little or if I am doing something wrong. I tried twisting them straight and it didn't work, Rivet gun slid off when I was popping rivets which explains scratch on back. Dangit.!

Well, I didn't see your first seat pictures, but this one looks great! I looked at the lacing, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

The only suggestion I could make is maybe use a pear shader to give a little shading and depth to your stamping/carving.

Great job! smile.gif

It doesn't look too bad....I'm getting ready to use 1/4" lacing on a seat and I'm going to punch 3/16" holes. We'll see how it turns out. I see it looks like you dyed after you laced. I know a lot of people do. Most of the time I do it before lacing and do my antiquing air brush work after. I don't like to see blond areas between the lace.

Finish the edges of the leather, dye the edge dark to match the lace, then lace. Then no light colored leather shows through the lace.

This is a tip from the Chief's lacing videos that he posted recently.

CTG

I only have a couple suggestions. The appearance of the lace on the back doesn't bother me so much as the leather showing through... Here are a couple of suggestions. When finished lacing take your mallet and give your lacing a good pounding all the way round the seat... It will make it lie much flatter give a much neater appearance. It looks like you may be using really long pieces of lace. After you have laced several inches with the lace it begins to stretch a bit and when it stretches it gets quite a bit thinner. So lace with shorter pieces of lace, no longer than 2-3 ft. I usually have 4 or 5 splices in my lacing on a seat that size. If you still have a few spaces where the leather shows through, use some dye or antiquing paste to dye those spots so they don't stand out so brightly. Get an old toothbrush and really scrub the dye or paste into those areas.

I also agree with the other poster who said to use a pear shader to add interest to your art..... pear shaders, knife cuts anything to make things more realistic. And try something other than skulls, they've been done to death..... pardon the pun..... skulls ... death.... never mind.

Good luck,

David Theobald

Edited by David

Finish the edges of the leather, dye the edge dark to match the lace, then lace. Then no light colored leather shows through the lace.

This is a tip from the Chief's lacing videos that he posted recently.

CTG

Would you happen to have a link to the Chief's lacing videos that you're referring to?

1342301702[/url]' post='256449']

Would you happen to have a link to the Chief's lacing videos that you're referring to?

Links are here, Link. This post also has a link to the first series too.

CTG

Thanks guys for tips and help. I am using about arm length pieces of lace so I'll shorten them a little on the next one. I pull super hard on them also so maybe if I don't pull so hard it won't stretch as much.

Links are here, Link. This post also has a link to the first series too.

CTG

Thanks a bunch! I'm going to go watch them.